Sign in to follow this  

What possible damage done...bad bad sad

A bad thing happened this weekend.

My top end was getting close to 18 hrs of woods racing (was hoping to make it 2 more races before new top end). I had good compression before race and everything was normal.

I had installed an 8oz flywheel weight a few days before and putted around the house and a okay.

Getting to the point: 3/4 through this weekends race I start here a little noise from the engine (I was thinking in my head fly wheel was rubbing/coming loose). Soon after that I was loosing power and ended in a POP/backfire/stall on a slow section in the woods.

i tried to re-fire to make it out and it almost did, but it was over. I had very little compression. I checked the anti-freeze and it was gone from radiator. i think it went into crank case because I saw grey oil around kick start seal.

It does turn over fine...just nothing there (very little compression). I feel i may have cooked the engine?? by loosing rad. fluid?

I will know more tonight (take off top end and drain the oil) will also take some pics to post.

What do you think I should look for? what may be the damaged...do you think water seal & new top end solves it? or does cooking the engine create bottom end issues?

Thanks

unfortunately there really is no way of knowing exactly what happened until you get in there and take a look. i would start by taking the head off and see if the piston and head look ok. if so, then i would remove the cylinder and go from there. but if you lost all of the coolant, then something is obviously not good. do you know for sure that the coolant was full before the race?

Well, not as bad as I thought...some of the coating came off the cylinder near the bridge. which made me loose my compression. No anti freeze in oil or swapping fluid

downsized_1011011852.jpg

Well, not as bad as I thought...some of the coating came off the cylinder near the bridge. which made me loose my compression. No anti freeze in oil or swapping fluid

downsized_1011011852.jpg

wow that is some serious plate loss, did you have the piston holes drilled for the bridge? About 400 beans you should be good to go though. Good luck 👍

grrr...400 beans = No Soup For you!...lol

Talked with Eric Gorr today and he said aprox. $750 for bottom rebuild & top end rebuild (with piston/crank/cylinder, gaskets/seals etc included). Don't know history on bottom end so might bite the bullet now.

I think I'm doing the total package (sad face)...that is more than what I paid 4 the bike (again sad face)

What year bike is this?

FWIW most 2 stroke top ends will last way longer than 18 hours (ummm ~ plus one ride ...).

if you cylinder is flaking like that there were some serious hours on that bike.

i had Eric Gorr do a full rebuild on my engine about 3 years ago. 750 isnt bad for a crank rebuild, inspection of everything and building everything.

Bit the bullet, ya its a lot of money. But you will have basically a new engine when all said and done.

lucky that it didnt fully lock up and you and hurl you off into the woods somewhere!

yeah, $750 not bad for full rebuild. I just did a full rebuild on mine and only had the crank rebuilt cause you can't buy a after market crank for 01 and it cost me $580 and that is me doing all the labor. I had the crank rebuilt and us chrome replate my cylinder.