Sign in to follow this  

KX 250 KX 125 project

Hey guys, I've decided to buy a little project over the winter that would be either an 02 and up KX 125 or 250 2t. I've ran into 2 offers so far.

1 is completely seized. The other is going to need crankcase seals. There both 02's. I went and looked up prices on bottom end and top ends for the 250 and its not nearly as expensive as I thought. about $300 for bottom end and $230 for top without a sleeve which is about $80 on ebay.

But, why I'm really posting is I need some guys opinions on these 2 models specifically. (The ad specifies any 2t 125 or 250 2002 and newer but mainly I want a kx). I have heard that the 125 kx is a bit disappointing for power until 03 and 03 and beyond they are resally good bikes..Is that right?

How about the 250? Hows the suspension, the power, the powerband, the responsiveness blah blah blah. Basically anything I should know about that may put me off a specific year.

Get the 250, the kawi 125's have weak stock motors... And I would get the cylinder plated not sleeved. :thumubsup:

What he said. I have a 2000 kx250 and love it so much I sold my 2008 kx250f

Try try try to get an 03+. Newer frame ect, will be worth much more when finished. Dont forget you may not only be doing motor work. I aquired a 99 kx 125 from a friend of a friend for 200 bucks, that just needed a piston (was already sleeved, friend bored it over because sleeve was startnig to pit) but that bike was a death trap. Every single thing was stripped on it or busted. complete linkage, fork/shock rebuild, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, tires, not to mention the bolts stuck or broken off in tank nut holes. My 05 125 was plenty of fun, just depends on what yoru looking to do with it.