Sign in to follow this  

boot hitting peg during kick start

I have an 05 and am having troubles when kickstarting.. my boot hits the peg. It seems that I would have to kick in an extremely unnatural way to prevent this. At this rate, tearing up boots could get expensive quickly? Does anyone else have this problem?

I wonder if they are not stock pegs then... I had 3 people try to kick it and they all stabbed their boot too.

I just got a 05 RMZ 450 last month and have been riding racing every weekend (Love it!). Commented to my son a few races ago that my right boot was coming apart but had no idea why... We rode last Sunday and I finally put the pieces of the puzzle together that it must be hitting the foot peg during starting but have not tried to start it since... Boot tore up on the inside ball of the sole. The boots were new this year and have no other issues so I see I'm not the only one, my pegs are stock 👍

In my case, the pointy parts of the peg hit anywhere from the ball of my foot to the arch depend on how I vary my kicking. the only way to avoid hitting my boot would be to put the lever on the heel and duck foot out about 60 degrees.

I've got the same issue with an 06 - the kickstart / footpeg combination is deadly on footwear. I have heard that the 'duck foot' is about the only way to avoid this.

The duck foot needs to be pretty extreme, and you have to kick with your heel. No good!

is your kickstarter worn perhaps? when they wear, they no longer hold a 90 degree angle to the bike, forcing you to kick differently, to avoid your foot sliding of the kickstart. and since the bike is ´05....

no problem on my ´10

Same problem on my '07. Rode it for the first time this weekend, couldn't find a way to kick it without hitting the peg. Not good.

I figured out the best foot placement while starting it cold on a moto stand but crashed in a corner Yesterday and you have to put your muddy boot on the inside of the lever to keep it from sliding off which is fun when your tyring not to get run into/over by other racers but... When I get my Rekluse I wont have to worry about that anymore:thumbsup: