Sign in to follow this  

166 mile ride yesterday

about 1/2 through the starter button and digital display died.... ***?

Lights worked- as bright as the sun with the new battery and rewind but push that starter and nada, nothing and the display is blank except for the black line which tells me the display has power.

This bike is really pushing my buttons!

Bike ran fine all day after jumping it each time.

Bummer...my guages recently had a threesome with a tree and terra firma. Haven't figured out how to make it work since, and haven't researched replacements.

Jumping it? Do ya mean kicking it?

about 1/2 through the starter button and digital display died.... ***?

Lights worked- as bright as the sun with the new battery and rewind but push that starter and nada, nothing and the display is blank except for the black line which tells me the display has power.

This bike is really pushing my buttons!

Bike ran fine all day after jumping it each time.

You have three quick connectors on the front of your steering stem. One of them is the starter and one is for the display. Make sure they're snapped tight and dry inside, Good luck:thumbsup:

Yeah... that was a pretty brief and vague post. By jumping I meant pushing it (downhill!) and popping it into gear.

No water on the ride and I don't know how those connectors would have popped but I will check them; Thanks.

There were some disconnected wires by the right side radiator that I tried to reconnect but that did nothing.

You know, after the rewind, new regulater/rectifier, charging pigtails, fan, etc it looks like a small car (electrically) under that seat.

I tried kicking it over to no avail- never have luck kicking that bike.

I tried kicking it over to no avail- never have luck kicking that bike.

Hmmm, somewhere you have a problem. The KLX starts as easily as any bike I've ever owned with the kickstart. I regularly start it with my slippers on, and love to show off how I can just pull on it with my hand...hot or cold. In fact, it starts easier by kick than by button for me.

Valve clearance check may be in order.

Gezz...How much have you modified the electrical system from stock?

It sounds to me like you baked your display with over voltage.

What is the output voltage of your new regulator at rpm? I would think 15V would be the max you should get.

Did you check the starter fuse/relay? I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me at the moment but that is where I would start. Are you pretty good at electonic debug with a digital multi meter?

I stopped by the shop this am to take another look.... it was driving me crazy. The 20amp fuse under the seat (starter) was blown.

I need to get a multimeter big time. Of course, that doesn't mean I will know how to use it!

There were disconnected wires by the right rad- that was why the fan wasn't working. The damn wires were so tight that they probably disconnected when I landed after a jump.

When I had the rewind and new r/r put in they left the old r/r still mounted with related connector just hanging there?

I think my local shop's service dept could step it up a notch.

Mine has never started easily with the kick- I don't know why. I had my valves checked at 600 miles, not much more than that now... other than this ride. They were fine.

The only electrical mods I've done from stock are the addition of a cooling fan & an on/off switch, an on/off switch for the head light, brake light switches, stator rewind and associated additions such as larger r/r and I just upped to a TurnTech 5.0 battery.

Then there are the heated grips, GPS, cell phone power feed, coffee maker and power for a mini air-compressor..... that's it!

No heated grips and all after that was a joke, obviously.

The guys at your shop need to check their electronic work and buy you a new display once they fix their scew up. I have seen an open wire on the regulator feedback cause huge over voltage surges. Very sorry for your troubles Nuts!

I use digital multimeters quite often. I would not do any debug on a motorcycle electrical system without one. I have a Fluke 87 among others, but you can get one now days from Sears pretty cheap that will work fine. Now knowing how to use it could be a different story depending on your electronic background. Since the shop did the work, it takes some of the burden off you except of coarse the waiting to get your baby back...

Good Luck!

When you say "open wire" on the regulator feedback, are you referring to the fact that the connector that plugged into the oem regulator was just left there?

I removed the owm r/r last night and shrink wrapped the oem connector, just to tidy things up a bit. I assume the new r/r (came with the rewind from Ricky Stator) just bypasses the oem one so that hanging plug etc is not an issue.

I will hit Sears tomorrow and get a meter...... gotta start someplace. People said to stay away from Radio Shack.

The bike is now home- the bike starts fine and the display is good.

I was up until 4am working on it; Extending the leads for the fan, fixing both rad guards (one was just hanging there), installed a red led that mounts to my front master cyl that tells me if the headlight is on (it will stay "on" if the bike is not running), tidying up a bunch of wiring and fixed the broken rear brake pedal. I did get the KX450 one and it is a duplicate, but because I still had the tip on mine (barely) I wanted to fix that one and keep the one I got as a back-up. That tip won't break of there now, that's for damn sure; I tapped the hole and put a bolt through it with 2 pins to stop any twisting.

I appreciate all the help.