Sign in to follow this  

Washington Tahuya Update

Tahuya/Green Focus Group meeting: The new maps are out, the difference is a few corrections on the trail names that were messed up on the 2008 maps and some spelling errors were corrected. If you see DNR trucks with Herb or Ray out in the forest or any of us focus group guys, we’ll have copies available. Also the local chamber of commerce will have them and I dropped some off at Belfair State Park.

The DNR is actively hiring an LEO to patrol Mason County to PA, so you will start seeing his presence by the first of the year. He will be based out of Belfair, so his presence will be frequent in the local forests. They are also hiring an additional trail worker to help John with the day to day maintenance and trail work. This should allow Kammenga and Spilman to open up for camping by January, possibly sooner. Also they are dropping the Tahuya River horse camp reservation system, and it will become first come first serve with some other details to be worked out in regards to some possible non-motorized weekends and maybe some weeks in August or something as non-moto’d. There was some discussion of returning the staging area back to day use only as it was built to be, don’t hesitate to provide your constructive feedback on that subject. If it happens, it would be after the other campgrounds are opened back up. There are obvious pros and cons on that one, let me know your thoughts. Twin Lakes and Howell Lake campgrounds are not on the immediate radar, but they are part of the discussions.

Also state wide you will probably see the DNR start writing tickets by November if they haven’t already started in some areas for no Discover pass in your vehicle. I feel the same as you guys, I’m just passing on the news from our meeting so please don’t turn this post into another anti DNR or Discover pass rant, we have other threads already for that, ok?

The Tahuya had its first blue gate stolen, and there is a new rash of stolen Acura’s showing up, being stripped and burned. If you see any suspicious activity, be sure to report it.

The private group looking to put in a campground on private property bordering the Tahuya were at the meeting and answered our questions. They have a ways to go with rezoning and access to there property and other issues, I'll keep you posted on what I hear.

Our Tahuya/Green planning committee is on-going; the battle is still to keep Green open to motorized. I will post an update soon hopefully. Meanwhile keep expressing your opinion on keeping Green open whenever there are DNR public meetings or on line polls, your voice matters.

Steve

Thanks for the update Steve, I appreciate you keeping this focused on just that an update. I am heading over there on Saturday morning. How do things look? Is there a place to park where a discover pass will not be needed? I have a dual sport and will park and ride close to the place. Thanks in advance. 👍

Thanks for the update Steve, I appreciate you keeping this focused on just that an update. I am heading over there on Saturday morning. How do things look? Is there a place to park where a discover pass will not be needed? I have a dual sport and will park and ride close to the place. Thanks in advance. 👍

At the meeting they discussed all of the places that people are now parking, some still on state land and others along side county roads. At some point the county will probaby start posting and issue citations, but they haven't do so yet. Also the local DNR has not issued any tickets yet, but there are never any guarantees that they won't start on the day you are there! So far they are seeing about a 66% compliance. We are still parking at the trailheads without passes, my kids did that sunday morning with no hassles.

Being that you are street legal, parking at Safeway or QFC in Belfair should work, but you didn't hear it from me!!

Parking at businesses in Belfair and going off somewhere else is against the posted warnings most of those business have. Your vehicle may not be there when you return because it will have been legally towed to an impound area and you will spend big bucks to get it back if it is towed.

To begin with, abusing these business people in such a manner will only increase political pressure to subdue our sport. Those people have huge investments in their property and parking space is limited at all of them.

I regularly drive a pick up with a small trailer and often cannot find two in line parking spaces in the Safeway lot in Belfair.

What stops someone with property near to from opening a lot? I'd pay them solely on principle.

HHHMMMM I see a potential business opportunity.

Hmmm, What would one pay to park at my property in the TSF with running water and trailer dump or use of a heated bathroom with shower?

Hmmm, What would one pay to park at my property in the TSF with running water and trailer dump or use of a heated bathroom with shower?

TMC? 👍

$30yr because that's what the state should be providing us for our money. Would set a fine example 👍

$30yr because that's what the state should be providing us for our money. Would set a fine example 👍

Most would pay $100. $30 to the state is wasted and all ya get is parking. He's offering more value than the state.

Parking at businesses in Belfair and going off somewhere else is against the posted warnings most of those business have. Your vehicle may not be there when you return because it will have been legally towed to an impound area and you will spend big bucks to get it back if it is towed.

To begin with, abusing these business people in such a manner will only increase political pressure to subdue our sport. Those people have huge investments in their property and parking space is limited at all of them.

I regularly drive a pick up with a small trailer and often cannot find two in line parking spaces in the Safeway lot in Belfair.

No offense Dutch, but could you imagine how strapped those businesses would be without the ORV crowd in town every week? I know I spend big bicks there over the course of a year. Just sayin' 👍

the chamber of commerce in Gold Bar would have a pretty good idea.

Joe

Most would pay $100. $30 to the state is wasted and all ya get is parking. He's offering more value than the state.

You're missing the point 👍

No offense Dutch, but could you imagine how strapped those businesses would be without the ORV crowd in town every week? I know I spend big bicks there over the course of a year. Just sayin' 👍

the chamber of commerce in Gold Bar would have a pretty good idea.

Joe

Just think of the negative economic impact that the Belfair McDonalds will experience with the loss of Rogers business.:ride:

Just think of the negative economic impact that the Belfair McDonalds will experience with the loss of Rogers business.:ride:

Mine too....I like their Latte's. I've been taken advantage of by the bikini baristas...Mickey D's is safer 👍

I make a point to buy stuff at the closest local outlet to the ride areas. It is always more expensive but those places need the money and I want them there next time I come. EZ to support local businesses and hope they realize some of this and support us too. I regularly buy stuff in Randle, Packwood, Hood River, Ashford, and many other small towns around the NW when i could pay less near home.

Gold Bar is a great example of what happens to local businesses when we dirty ORVers get closed out. let that be a lesson to local small businesses near ORV areas. We really need clear facts on things like this to use as arguments when these things come up.

I like to fill my gas up and my cooler, at/near the local riding hole....keeps them in business and very happy with us "outdoor, motorized" users.

Believe it or not there was enough backlash from the Reiter closure that the dnr has included local economic impact into their recent recreation planning.

One point I've tried to convey to them is orv users are a steady stream of "shoppers" who spend more on average than the other users competing for land use. They also recreate year round in all weather conditions unlike most other user groups.