Sign in to follow this  

DS tire fitment

I have a 1999 XR 440R and putting on some MT 90's for street use in San Francisco and around the area on some dirt roads. I have the factory XR400R wheels and I'm wondering how big can I go in the rear without creating problems? I have a guy locally that is selling a 90/90-21 and a 150/70-18 MC 70V for the rear. Is the 150 worth the good deal or will I have a better handling bike with a 120 or 130?

Thanks!

A 130 is about as big as I would want to run on a stock 2.15" rim. I run one on my 350 and it looks good and works very well. PLENTY of rubber for a 30something hp bike.

A 150 needs a 4.25" or close rim, adn would't fit between the swingarm without cutting off all the tabs for the chain guides/guards.

Cool thanks, I had a feeling it was too wide, just wanted some advice from someone with some experience. Have you used this tire before? Or have any suggestions for a mostly street tire with dirt capabilities? I still want to hook up if I decide to hit some twisty roads.

I liked the Shinko 705's but they stopped making them. Might be able to find them at some suppliers still.

First pic 130, 2nd pic 150.

DSC00046.jpg

?action=view&current=12ab44da.pbw