Sign in to follow this  

ouch, embarrassing.. washer mix-up during rebuild

👍 I think I messed up and switched some of the trans washers around, neutral is dragging.

Is this the washer for the small end of the main shaft? Or something else? The fische says there's a 24mm washer but doesn't give any other measurements. This one is THICK, 24x14.3x3 The bike is 2004.

IMAG0058.jpg

Thanks in advance! :ride:

Looks like either the washer for the flywheel or the washer for the counterweight gear. It doesn't look like a trans spacer to me.

Looks like either the washer for the flywheel or the washer for the counterweight gear. It doesn't look like a trans spacer to me.

Thanks! Shit! 👍 That means unless I lost a washer, I managed to assemble the tranmission incorrectly. It shifts fine but neutral drags. I'll add oil and see if dragging goes away, but I'd be surprised if that happens. It was dragging a little once I put the cases together, now it drags quite a bit once everything else is buttoned up.

Fische shows 12mm for alternator cover and 14 for counterbalancer, so likely I forgot one transmission washer and used it for counterbalancer...

Thanks a lot for your help guys! This is very likely counterbalancer washer that I simply forgot to slide on. So I'll still have to deal with the transmission dragging issue, something else is messed up there.

The trans is not going to free spin, there is drag on it. Did you pull all the gears off? Usually if you have something in wrong, it won't shift into every gear.

Yea I know it will drag a bit, but this one drags a lot, as in have to really yank on the rear wheel with the chain on to get it to move. Something's not aligned right in there. I replaced the smaller end bearing of the countershaft, so maybe it didn't seat all the way in and the Cshaft is just pinched between two bearings. Got the motor out, will open it up and see sometime this week.

The bearing is where it should be, and there's definitely was some pinch by the cases going on since as soon as the cases got freed up a bit, it started moving smoothly.

Which one of these 2 washers belongs on this shaft? The blue one is thinner than the silver one, I think that's where my mixup is. They're the same size otherwise.. Generally, I don't quite understand how one would assemble the motor if all the washers were thrown in a bag? Neither the manual or fiche list exact dimensions!

IMAG0059.jpg

Thanks! So the silver one must be not from the transmission at all right, starter gears or counterbalancer?

Thanks! So the silver one must be not from the transmission at all right, starter gears or counterbalancer?

Since it's apart, if you have a manual, I would suggest pulling the trans apart and go piece by piece to make sure everything is together right unless you didn't pull it apart all the way and you just removed the whole assembly. I'm pretty sure that the washer doesn't go anywhere in the trans, but I still have to look at the book to make sure everything is right and I've pulled a bunch of them apart.

Since it's apart, if you have a manual, I would suggest pulling the trans apart and go piece by piece to make sure everything is together right unless you didn't pull it apart all the way and you just removed the whole assembly. I'm pretty sure that the washer doesn't go anywhere in the trans, but I still have to look at the book to make sure everything is right and I've pulled a bunch of them apart.

That's the thing, I did what you're suggesting pretty carefully, and the washers are in correct locations, it's just that the two of them are the same size other than thickness, silver one being thicker. Live and learn 👍

You should be ok then, the blue definately goes in the trans. The other one you'll figure out later. I think it's pretty normal to have at least 2-3 extra parts after you're done with the engine!

You should be ok then, the blue definately goes in the trans. The other one you'll figure out later. I think it's pretty normal to have at least 2-3 extra parts after you're done with the engine!

👍 ain't that right, them parts seem to procreate while on the bench, and also crawl all over the shop! Thanks four your help, I'll go look for a good place for that silver washer now :ride:

Transmission is in a happy place after that washer swap out. It's probably less than half a millimeter difference in thickness but what an impact!