Sign in to follow this  

Sachs suspension from gas gas

Hy guys,

the new gas gas 2012 looks great and i thought to buy the new ec 300 but i have a concern regarding the suspension, first they will deliver only the stock models with sachs suspension front and rear. do you have any idea about this suspension ??? are they ok, i mean at least like the other stock suspension from ktm - wp or other - kyb .......

thanx

It's actually well built and from my experience very tough and can take a pounding.

However, the valving setup is way off.

I have a 08 300 with almost 300 hours and everything is still tight...no slop in the fork action, still have the stock seals in them, but they get serviced regularly.

Also I spent quite a bit of time working on the valving to get them to work right.

I say the GG is a great woods bike, fantastic motor and handling but the best money you could spend on it would be a revalve.

If you did that, you'd love the bike for sure!

Les at LT racing is (IMHO) the best marz sachs tuner out there, I road a 09 300 he did before and after....huge difference.

We ride some tight super nasty rooted slick trails out here in Hawaii, I mean it's hard not to get bitch slapped to ground by a hidden greasy 2x6 shaped root...and the trails are nothing but littered with them.

Good suspension is a must here if you want to wick it up on these trails.

Its just an open chamber 48mm fork, it has just had issues in the past with factory set up. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the fork, its just a bit odd, they can be made to work very well by a competent suspension tuner. They use a weird 7mm id shim which can be hard to find, but again, a competent tuner can work it out.

thanx guys. but the 2010 or 2011 models with sachs are not better??? i thought they have improved the sachs suspension!!!

maybe i should wait for the race model to be available, with marzochi ond ohlins...

thanx guys. but the 2010 or 2011 models with sachs are not better??? i thought they have improved the sachs suspension!!!

maybe i should wait for the race model to be available, with marzochi ond ohlins...

Better than what? the Marz? the two forks are almost identical inside, I have been inside both forks.

The only real difference it the hydrulic stopper is peened in place where Marz usees a split ring/lock nut...everything else is the same.

The shocks are good once revalved correctly...I converted mine over to a bladder type and I love the suspension on my bike.

I road a KTM with a full slavens revalve and it's not any better than my bike...I'd say mine is even a bit plusher in the roots and chop.

Idk about in romania but ALL the US 2012 GasGas's are XC Race models and get the Marzocchi 48mm Closed Cartridge forks and ohlins shock that are supposed to be spectacular, as they are already on the 2011 Race models. I believe in Europe you can get both the EC and XC race models so you can get either the sach's or Mar/Ohlins combo. Just get the race version of the bike....

The 2012 beta's comes with sachs and all the reviews rave about how good the forks are. I rode a stock 2010 gasser with the sachs and they felt light years better for my home terrain than the zokes on my 011 300 which have incidently been revalved twice and getting ready a third and final with some different pistons. After that the bike either gets jap or wp forks or its getting sent down the road.👍

Edited by widebear
my bad

there's some rumors here that the new sachs for 2012 are as good as marzzochi and ohlins from the racind version if not slightly better. Could it be possible ??? sachs reach so hight level?? ok, the ohlins is not the top model from they thouse put on the ec racing, but I think marzzochi is.