Sign in to follow this  

RM forks vs DRZ

I am looking at doing a fork swap on another bike, and was considering the Showa 49mm Conventionals from either the 97-98 RM or the DRZ series. Which would be a better choice for HS racing? I am on the east coast where it is primarily all woods, but with some open fields. I probably would not revalve until I could outride them.

I like what I have learned about these newer conventional forks, and haven't been brainwashed by the USD conspiracy.

Ok, so why do guys put the RM forks on the DRZ?

👍:bonk::ride:

You got me, guys THINK they need the extra bit of rigidness of the inverted forks ( or the extra 3 mm diameter of the 97-98 forks) when all they really need is the stock suspension re-valved and sprung for their application.

Plus most will not admit to it, but probably because the inverted forks look cool and give the bike a more modern appearance! IMHO!

After a re-valve, the suspension is NOT a handicap for the DRZ!!!

The slow stock motor :busted:is though for a racing application.

Bundy

:ride::bonk::worthy:

You got me, guys THINK they need the extra bit of rigidness of the inverted forks ( or the extra 3 mm diameter of the 97-98 forks) when all they really need is the stock suspension re-valved and sprung for their application.

Plus most will not admit to it, but probably because the inverted forks look cool and give the bike a more modern appearance! IMHO!

After a re-valve, the suspension is NOT a handicap for the DRZ!!!

The slow stock motor :busted:is though for a racing application.

Bundy

I had a properly set up stock suspension. It was great. I now have a properly set up USD fork on the bike and it is great as well. I put it on because I wanted to, and because it's my bike. I like the looks better, and I'm not afraid to admit it. So take your :worthy::bonk::worthy: and :worthy:😛:p.

A major part of the fun of owning this bike (and others as well) is making them whatever you want them to be. Nothing wrong with that. 👍

• Like 1

I've just been looking at RM forks for my DRZ E. I had considered getting them revalved and set up professionally, and now having read this, that's what I'm going to do. I've got rid of the standard fork gaitors and used the KTM sliders which give a cool look.