Sign in to follow this  

My 1987 honda xr200 will not run at idle

A few days ago i took a spill on a turn and the bike fell on the right-hand side, it was still running when it was lying on its side and i pushed the kill-switched. Immediately after, i tried to start the bike and it was having trouble getting started and when it did start, I revved it and as soon as I let go of the throttle it just shuts off, no funny sounds or anything. It is still doing this. the bike was running normally right before I fell. I Changed the spark plug. I think most likely something happened to the ignition coil. It's my first dirt bike and I'd really like to have it running again very soon. Thanks for the help.

My best guess would be crud in your jets. The bottom of the float bowl can accumulate dirt and stuff and when you fell, that stuff may have got bounced around and sucked into your pilot jet (and maybe the main too). You might do well to take off the carb and air blow clean those two jets.

As a side note: A right side fall can often flood the engine so if it doesn't start right away hold the throttle wide open while kicking, then don't let the engine idle until the misfiring stops.