Sign in to follow this  

What bike for beginner?!?!

I have only ridden a clutch once so I kind of know how to do it and right now I am looking at a used crf 100 and a used drz 125.I am turning 15 in november and I'm 14 and 5'9".This will be my first bike and I want a few options to look for.I was also thinking of a klx 110 L or klx 140.

What do you want to do? Trails, track or farm? Don't worry about the clutch thing. That'll come easy. 5'9 isn't short for 14. A crf150 big wheel might be fun but you'll grow out of it quick. I recommend a 250f or a 125 2t if you're into crazy fun. I think the 125 will teach you more but you will go through some good lessons to rip. 250f if you want easy and lazy. 125 if you want rewarding.

(Do you want a Ford truck or a corvette?)

The crf150 is a great bike for your age and height. For your height, I would think that the crf100 would be on the small size. Get something that would last you for a while. If your riding trails, get a crf150. Or even a crf or ttr 230. My first bike was a crf230. Great trail bikes. Hope this helped

If you really are inexperienced with a clutch you should start with a CRF150F or possibly the CRF230F/TTR230F. I would buy it used since you may only ride it one or two seasons. The CRF100F, KLX140, KLX140L, KLX110, DRZ125L, TTR125LE are too small for you.

The CRF150RB is an MX bike and requires experience with a clutch and is borderline too small for you. Once you are experienced I think you can then look to move to the WR250F, CRF250X, KLX300R, or any of the motocrossers (YZ250F, KX250F, CRF250R, RMZ250) depending on the type of riding you like to do.

The bikes you listed are too small. I was a similar height at your age, and I would look at a KDX 200, XR250, TTR 250, or a KLX300. In my opinion the KDX200 will be the best fit for you. It has a nice broad power band, it is light, and it very easy to start. So when you stall it, it will be easy to start up again. Having a bike that starts easily will be helpful when learning how to use the clutch.

get a crf150f or a crf230f.you should cause your so tall i have a crf150r and im 5'5 and its to small i can touch on a full size bike.i would go with the crf230 it a reliable bike and is easy to handle

I would say that this is a tough question to answer..you are sort of in a limbo phase right now. Some of the bikes listed may be a little on the small side, but, with your inexperience, small is ok. The full sized XR, TTR, or KLX would be very tall for your height and very heavy. The KDX might not be too heavy, but it would have to be lowered for someone 5' 9". If it were me, I would go small and work my way up to a bigger bike.

get something really old, with dual shocks and drum breaks. learn to ride that one fast then get a new bike and rally the crap out of the thing.

i would look for an older small 4-stroke. they don't depreciate much and you can often sell them for what you bought it for. get really comfortable with your riding on it then i'd move up to a 125 2-stroke.