Sign in to follow this  

HELP!! Chain Tightened in sand?? with video

just a video of a few of us at Southwick throwing down some laps lots of fun wish there were more OP here

so i had adjusted my chain to the correct (my way of adjusting) 2 fingers slack 1/2 way up the swing arm and one would think that the sand would help loosen the chain correct?

well at the end of the day the chain was like a friggin piano string...👍

yes i did tighen the adjuster nuts correctly and the axel nut was torques properly im stumped

and ideas guys!??

how do you know your way is the "correct" way of measuring and checking slack on the chain?

when buying my 2012 the manual says 52-55mm from swingarm to top chain guide, and my old 2010 crf250 had an different method also.

Was your bike clean or still sandy? Was there sand stuck between the rear sprocket and chain? Could you spin the wheel? I ride at Southwick but this has never happened to me before. Sometimes when rider's want to park their bike in sand, they will hold the front brake and spin the rear tire until it digs a hole in the sand to hold their bike up. Often, sand builds up between the rear sprocket and chain to the point where the wheel won't even move. This seems unlikely but maybe thats what happened?

Sand (and mud) has it´s way of working itself into every nook and cranny.

The chain will regain looseness if properly cleaned.

When sand build-up is to be expected, many riders start the race off with a slacker than normal chain. This method may not always help, but will probably not hurt either.

"You are supposed to pull them by the hair, or they will fill up with sand"

hr.jpg

Was your bike clean or still sandy? Was there sand stuck between the rear sprocket and chain? Could you spin the wheel? I ride at Southwick but this has never happened to me before. Sometimes when rider's want to park their bike in sand, they will hold the front brake and spin the rear tire until it digs a hole in the sand to hold their bike up. Often, sand builds up between the rear sprocket and chain to the point where the wheel won't even move. This seems unlikely but maybe thats what happened?

this was after the bike had been powerwashed and dried overnight the next day i checked the rear wheel would spin but not normally (because of the tightness)

and no i didnt make my own sand hole stand

Sand (and mud) has it´s way of working itself into every nook and cranny.

D-K Sand (and mud) has it´s way of working itself into every nook and cranny.

When sand build-up is to be expected, many riders start the race off with a slacker than normal chain. This method may not always help, but will probably not hurt either.

i did leave it a bit on the loose side knowing i was goin in the sand

i just dont understand how it could get that tight:banghead:👍

I'm not saying you made a sand stand on the middle of the racetrack Lol. Just using that for example, like D-K said, sand gets in the chain guide, between the sprocket, and everywhere else.

You can see someone trying to fix the same issue in the middle of a sand race at the Weston beach race in this video at the 2:55 mark.

http://vurbmoto.com/theatre/weston-beach-race/7170/