Sign in to follow this  

tech 8's cutting back or my leg.

Hello everyone,I just bought a new pair of tech 8's my 1st pair of Alpinestars,I got them from a store that had gone out of business so I got them at a steal.tried them on,walked around in them,they felt good,got them home walked around in the yard with them still no problems,then I took them to my cousins homemade track,that's when I noticed that when taking corners,or sitting down on the bike,the back of the boot cut into the back of my leg,even preventing me from bending my leg,very uncomfortable,now I cant take them back,I called alpinestars to see if a size 7 would have a smaller boot shaft,he said the 7 and 8 were made from the same shell,and had never heard of this problem suggested that I try youth boots,which I have done in the past and they are to short,and cut into my shin literally,I have a scar from them.but this is bad.now they dont actually cut into my leg,but the back of my leg is incredibly sore,left huge red marks,and they make it impossible to bend my knee,I'm 5'5 bare foot,and weigh 119,my legs are not freakishly short,I cant be the only one who has experienced this.I took the boots to a shoe repair place today to see if they can cut the back of the boots down a little,its worse when the tendons on the back of my knee flex,this is truly horrible,I was so stoked about the boots.

So has anyone else experienced this?is there anything I can do?,is this normal for Alpinestars?

Please help me here guys I love the boots and want to keep them but there is no way to ride in them like this.

well I don't know about cutting into my leg, but the Tech 8's I had last were pretty stiff for the first 6 rides or so. In fact I chose to race with my old boots because I had trouble shifting in my tech 8's until they softened up. So you might have to break them in. Now I don't know how hard you ride, may take you longer to break them in, I was racing amateur at the time.

Other than that all I can suggest is to get Gaerne sg 12's or Sidi's next time.

I went from my Tech 8's to the sg 12's and I love them, best boots I have raced in. I will probably never buy A stars again. Think I might try Sidi's next.

I was very uncomfortable in my Tech 8 loaners. I sent my Tech 10's in to AlpineStar for a resole and when I recieved my loaners they were Tech 8's which I really wanted to try anyway. They were very stiff and they way they are so rigidly built it didnt seem they would ever break in enough to be comfortable for me. I know I didnt answer your question, but you might have to bite the bullet and try something else. I think the Tech 7's have a better feel for about the same $$$.

rhinorm250 is right about the shifting thing, i had a hard time as well. The toe was very bulky and made it difficult to feel the shift lever.

The issue is not with the boot, rather the length of your legs. Find a good shoe repair or leather working shop and have it cut down an inch. Bet that solves your issue.

You can always put them up for sale. Try a pair of Fox boots.

Thanks everyone for the response,Yes they are ridiculously stiff,we did go to one of our local tracks the next day,took my old boots,and brought the tec8's as well,tried to ride with them again in a nearby field,no way when I was out on the track I had to ride in my old boots.with the tech8's constant missed shifts,no break lever,wheres the breaks?or the shifter for that matter,but in all seriousness,I've got them at the shoe shop now,they should call me back today for pricing on cutting them down,I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do this?or shared a similar problem,and as far as how hard i ride,I dont know,ride as fast as I feel comfortable,but I'm not bustin out 100ft triples.Basically I ride for fun,rarely race,but we go to the track every time its open about twice a month,somtimes drive to a few differant tracks,or ride nearby short trails when the track is not open.I am a little guy,but I cant be the only person in the world who has had to deal with this,I know there are other 5'5 ers,and I'm a little over 5'6 with shoes on out there who have had something similar happen to them right?more info is always welcome,and thanks for the responses,and help.

i had the same problem, i got a pair of Moto socks.. 12 bucks and the problem was solved...

Will moto socks come past my knee?if so,do you get really hot riding in them?Always thought they were unnecessary, I really dont want to have the tech8's cut down,and I dont want to sell them,but I dont know.It's like when I sit down or squat the boots will even hit the back of my thigh,in the front they come just below my knee.The boot and the booties fit great,it's just the shaft that's to tall,when I dropped them off at our local shoe repair place,which oddly enough is named shoe repair,I told them that the front is fine,really its the back that i would need cut,as the front of the boot is ok,but the back especially behind the inner thigh or knee opposite side of the buckles,they were supposed to call me today but never did.like I said before,I'm a little guy but my legs are not freakishly short.i'm not stating the boots are defective ethier,just looking for suggestions or Ideas,as I said before at 5'5 me and OG cant be the only people who have experienced this phenomenon.thanks