Sign in to follow this  

1997 RM125/250 49mm Fork Manual

Mods: I realize this would fit in the suspension forum though I am looking for Suzuki-only info. Thanks.

Fellas: I want to toss the fish oil in my forks and replace with new oil. Does anyone have the manual section on these forks? I'd sure like a copy before I do a blind flush and new oil. Thanks!

I redid my showas on my 96 with my Clymer manual, and it detailed everything out very well.:thumbsup:

They're almost exactly the same as modern showa twin chamber forks so you can look up video on those. The only difference is you need a spanner to hold the bottom plate while unthreading the rebound adjuster. If this is a trail bike you may also want to start a lot lower than the recommended oil level and work your way up.

Yes, trail riding. I've read 200-210mm of oil level. I take it that is with the springs out. What brand/weight of oil should I use? The stock should be fine for my weight.

What do I use to flush out after draining? Is kerosine or diesel ok? Seems like some residual of either would get left behind. I'm considering a total disassemble for later after riding on them for a while once I figure out what (valving) I want to change or leave it to a tuner.

Found an RM125 service manual on that auction site, and will go ahead and buy/use it.

Oil volume not level for cartridge forks. Start with 210 and go up in 10cc increments until your happy. Use whatever 5w good brand you have at your local dealership. For cleaning use contact cleaner or brake cleaner if you can't find any locally. For valving, just message me whenever you want some changes and I can try to help.

Also, you need to check the stock springs for negative preload and use a spacer to get to 0 to +3mm if need be. To check just unscrew the slider and measure the gap between the spring and the spring seat. They changed the design in 98 to fix this problem. Just do it before you dissemble everything the first time.