Sign in to follow this  

Looking for baseline to start with suspension settings 12' 300xcw

So just bought a 300, just installed springs for my weight and looking for where is a good starting point for rebound and compression. I ride in rocky , roots and mostly hard pack to medium dirt her in N.H.

I used the settings in the manual to start out. If you put stiffer springs in go slower on the rebound settings.

Ok,yeah I'm starting with the comfort settings, running around my property and I need to soften front and rear , by that I mean back off all clockers .

Ok,yeah I'm starting with the comfort settings, running around my property and I need to soften front and rear , by that I mean back off all clockers .

don't back off too far or you will be riding lower in the stroke, in the harsher part of the stroke, so by going softer, the ride could get worse.

With stiffer springs, you should be able to back off the compression a few clicks and add a couple of clicks of rebound. Remember, the rebound stack sits opposite of the midvalve stack, so going in on the rebound also stiffens the midvalve, so it is a balancing act with the rebound clicker. Run enough to keep it from rebounding up at you, but not so much that it doesn't pack up.

Concerning rebound: I like it faster in front than back.

On the fork I get the spring and preload where I want and then set the rebound pretty fast but so I can see that the fork isn't springing back completely freely. Set like this it should have plenty of pop to get the front end up. While riding I know I have to slow it a little (1 or 2 clicks at a time) if it isn't gripping in turns or is bouncing back at me more than is helpful off rocks and bumps. Usually 1 click faster for MX cuz deflecting is less of an issue and pop is nice.

In the rear I want it slow enough that I never get bucked, but not completely dead feeling. For MX I need to speed it up 2 clicks from my woods setup to get enough pop off jumps.

Compression: If you don't weigh less than 150lb or more than 190lb use the standard settings in the manual as a starting point.

From there I usually like more Low Speed Compression in the rear to keep the bike level and hold it up in the travel (remember the slow rebound will pack down if you don't have enough compression damping to hold it up). I want it to soak up the sharp hits so I run as little high speed compression as I can till I feel like I'm using too much travel on hits or packing and riding low in the travel on successive medium size hits. For MX my LSC gets nearly maxed and I go up a turn of HSC from the woods setting.

In front I'm looking for enough compression to control brake diving on steep downhills and feel stable when loading the front wheel in a corner. Too much compression results in harshness, deflection, and not using full travel on big hits. While riding decide how much impact you can tolerate and check the dust line on the stanchion tubes after what you'd consider the biggest hits you'll take to be sure that you're using full travel. I run 15 clicks more for MX than woods.