Sign in to follow this  

How does a kdx200 compare to an mx bike?

Basically what I am asking is if you compared a kdx 200 with just exhaust mods (after market pipe and silencer) to an mx bike as in power and feel what size bike would you say it is closest to? Because I know kdx's are not as fast as mx bikes so I would think that it would be comparable to smaller bikes. But would you say like a 125, 150? I don't know. Just wonderin 👍

A KDX is it's own bike. From what i remember, they have very good bottom end and not much hit, unlike mx 2-strokes. However, the chassis and suspension on an mx bike is an a completely different league. A KDX will never be an mx bike, but they were never meant to be one either.

a 125 would scream buy a KDX200. but, thats about as close as you are going to get i think.

A KDX is it's own bike. From what i remember, they have very good bottom end and not much hit, unlike mx 2-strokes. However, the chassis and suspension on an mx bike is an a completely different league. A KDX will never be an mx bike, but they were never meant to be one either.

I wasn't trying to make it into one, I was just saying as far as power and stuff goes what it would compare to.

It would be better than a 125 in low end and mid range but no top end like the screaming 125. But KDX's can be made to run pretty good. I used to own an 89 KDX 200 and it was a good bike.

I now have the 2010 KTM 200 XCW . Much better in every way. It can eat a 125 and give a 250 2 stroke a good run with a good rider.

as far as brake horsepower goes it probably makes about 20-23 (just an estimate) and a 250f makes about 35. but a kdx will be faster at top speed due to the wide ratio transmission. and i would take a kdx200 over a 250f race bike for an offroad race any day.

i assume you mean moto, if i were you i would buy 125, how muyou weight and how tall are you?

I am 6'3 and weigh about 175lbs

I would say the KDX is closer to a 250f than any 2T MX'er.

as far as brake horsepower goes it probably makes about 20-23 (just an estimate) and a 250f makes about 35. but a kdx will be faster at top speed due to the wide ratio transmission. and i would take a kdx200 over a 250f race bike for an offroad race any day.

I can't say for sure what just a pipe and silencer would do but one KDX showed 34.3 horsepower and 24.3 ft/lbs of torque on the dyno. Info given was...

His engine has been modified using FRP porting, head work, a Boyesen RAD valve, FMF pipe and silencer as well as a modifed carb.

For more info, including dyno graphs, go to http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/, click "KDX Tech Tips", and look for "Dyno Testing" 👍

KDX200, bored to 225 and ported by Eric Gorr, KX250 front suspension, shock valved by Smart Performance, + other goodies. It will smoke my cr125 and give my cr250 fits.

moto009.jpg

A stock kdx is very very tame, but a pipe and silencer wakes them up more then just about any other bike, They have about 34hp after a pipe and silencer (maybe 29 or 30 before). this is only slightly less than a 125 but the power peak is closer to the midrange, I would go to a 250 2 stroke from a kdx200. I went from my kdx200 to a YZ250 and it was a very very easy transition. Going to a 125 would be too much of a downgrade in the low end to midrange power department.

A stock kdx is very very tame, but a pipe and silencer wakes them up more then just about any other bike, They have about 34hp after a pipe and silencer (maybe 29 or 30 before). this is only slightly less than a 125 but the power peak is closer to the midrange, I would go to a 250 2 stroke from a kdx200. I went from my kdx200 to a YZ250 and it was a very very easy transition. Going to a 125 would be too much of a downgrade in the low end to midrange power department.

+1 I owned a 2002 KDX220 for a while before I sold it to a friend. Stock, they come in around 30-32 hp and a FMF pipe and reeds might get you a couple more. A stock 200 will actually outrun a 220 in a straight line due to bigger carb and different port timing. They have tons of low-mid range power....which is great for a beginner trail rider. The suspension is where the KDX is lacking...and to the op...I wouldnt even consider taking a stock KDX on a MX track. The guy I sold the 220 to still has it and I know someone else who rides a KDX200. Those bikes will run forever if maintained...they are like the XRs of the 2 stroke world with respect to maintenance. The reason I sold the bike is that I couldnt get over the lackluster suspension and lack of top end power. I bought a 2007 KTM 300 XC and it is leaps and bounds above the KDX. Why spend money modifying a KDX when you can buy a KTM and have it all?