Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki DRZ400s vs KTM LC4 640

OK, so here is the deal. I have a 2002 Suzuki DRZ400s with 5000 miles on it, in near mint condition. I have all of the "necessary" aftermarket farkles (skid plate, case savers, hand guards, over size fuel tank).

I found a guy that has a 1999 KTM LC4 640 Dual Sport (Not the Adventure) with 5500 miles on it, also in near mint condition willing to trade even up for the DRZ. The KTM is stock except for a Big Gun exhaust as far as I know. He said he just wants a smaller bike.

So my question is would you personally make the trade or would you stick with the DRZ? I would always enjoy a more powerful engine, but I also know my DRZ is very reliable as I have had it for a long time with no problems. I also know parts for the DRZ are cheap and abundant. My dealer (40 minutes away) is Suzuki and KTM if that means anything...Any other info. you feel necessary to pass on about the KTM or your reasoning would be great as well.

I look forward to any quick responses as this trade would happen this weekend if it does happen.

Oh, here is a photo of the KTM, I don't have any photos of the DRZ, but it is in near perfect condition like I said.

dsc00027.jpg

I find it hard to believe that no one here has any opinions on the KTK 640 LC4 Enduro.

OK, nobody stepping up....so here's something....

I owned a 1999 LC4 Adventure for 6 months. It was like riding a washing machine. Terrible vibrations discouraged me from KTM singles for about 10 years. I think later models added a counter balance to smooth the motor out. My memory is vague since I didn't keep that bike very long.

Ride it and see if it runs smoothly or not.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. That was one of the concerns I had, but then again I think my DRZ is that way. I guess like you said, the best bet is to take it for a ride to see for myself.

If your bike is as near perfect as you say it is, than you will have to put another $1K into that KTM to get it to where your DRZ is.

I bought a 99' 640e last year for $3k that only had 2K mi. on it and it looked like it just rolled out of the factory.

For me the stock seat was only good for 20mi. of riding and the 3 gal. tank was too small. I have since changed both and have also replaced the transmission mainshaft bearing that start going bad at around the 5000 mi. mark. With these mods done; if somebody asked me to trade for a DRZ I would say, Hell No.

Although I really love the idea of having a KTM and especially of having more horsepower, I am starting to see things from the other side. I have been told by numerous people that the 640 lc4 is going to vibrate very badly. As you mentioned, the trans. main bearing would most likely be something I would have to do (unless it has already been done) which is not an expensive part but a good amount of time to say the least. There is also the issue of parts availability and cost as well as required maintenance.

I am still going to take a look as I can only really tell how I feel once I see and ride the bike. If it is something I fall in love with, putting some money into it wouldn't be the end of the world. Then again, I could just put that money towards a 2nd bike.

Thanks for your input.

Seriously, people complain way too much about stuff. The seat is like a sofa compared to any other dirtbike I've ridden, and in my opinion, it's even larger than the drz's seat. I've done numberous hard 250 mile twisties on my supermoto lc4.

I had a Husqvarna 610sm before getting my KTM. People said the seat SUCKED so bad. People said you couldnt ride it long, blah blah. Personal experience, they were all wrong. The bike kicks the husky's ass.

The vibes. Oh the vibes. Once your balls drop, you'll get over it. It's a thumper. Your hands will be numb after 20 miles. If it isnt thumping, then you've either got a problem with the bike, or it's got 25hp. Just because it isn't a cadillac, doesnt mean it's a poorer bike than the drz. It's a dirtbike!

Main bearing is fixed with $110 and about 3 hours. Nothing else is problematic with the LC4.

The LC4 comes with better suspension, better brakes, and a better motor. Do the math, and trade the man before he doesnt want your DRZ anymore. Just be sure there isnt a reason he is trying to get rid of it...

Go ride the KTM and make your decision.

OK, so here is the deal. I have a 2002 Suzuki DRZ400s with 5000 miles on it, in near mint condition. I have all of the "necessary" aftermarket farkles (skid plate, case savers, hand guards, over size fuel tank).

I found a guy that has a 1999 KTM LC4 640 Dual Sport (Not the Adventure) with 5500 miles on it, also in near mint condition willing to trade even up for the DRZ. The KTM is stock except for a Big Gun exhaust as far as I know. He said he just wants a smaller bike.

So my question is would you personally make the trade or would you stick with the DRZ? I would always enjoy a more powerful engine, but I also know my DRZ is very reliable as I have had it for a long time with no problems. I also know parts for the DRZ are cheap and abundant. My dealer (40 minutes away) is Suzuki and KTM if that means anything...Any other info. you feel necessary to pass on about the KTM or your reasoning would be great as well.

I look forward to any quick responses as this trade would happen this weekend if it does happen.

for a 520 exc in mint condition yes, but a 640 no way...

Seriously, people complain way too much about stuff. The seat is like a sofa compared to any other dirtbike I've ridden, and in my opinion, it's even larger than the drz's seat. I've done numberous hard 250 mile twisties on my supermoto lc4.

I had a Husqvarna 610sm before getting my KTM. People said the seat SUCKED so bad. People said you couldnt ride it long, blah blah. Personal experience, they were all wrong. The bike kicks the husky's ass.

The vibes. Oh the vibes. Once your balls drop, you'll get over it. It's a thumper. Your hands will be numb after 20 miles. If it isnt thumping, then you've either got a problem with the bike, or it's got 25hp. Just because it isn't a cadillac, doesnt mean it's a poorer bike than the drz. It's a dirtbike!

Main bearing is fixed with $110 and about 3 hours. Nothing else is problematic with the LC4.

The LC4 comes with better suspension, better brakes, and a better motor. Do the math, and trade the man before he doesnt want your DRZ anymore. Just be sure there isnt a reason he is trying to get rid of it...

Go ride the KTM and make your decision.

Do the math....it's a 13 year old bike....and will need work and parts.....especially if you ride it in dirt.....

Go ride it and tell us how you liked it........we all want to hear the story....

Do the math....it's a 13 year old bike....and will need work and parts.....especially if you ride it in dirt.....

Go ride it and tell us how you liked it........we all want to hear the story....

Well, that being said my bike is 10 years old.

Anyway, I am waiting to hear back from the guy. He was emailing me every day, then everything just stopped. I know he was waiting on the title from the DMV, so who knows at this point.