1st win

I've never gotten a win, i've tried and tried and tried, i have had some absolutely amazing races. charged from the back of the pack up to 3rd and the 2 kids out front were 1/2 a lap ahead. There's an upcoming race at my home track and i am seriously going to try my hardest and push it to the limit to get a win. Everyone at school talks shit about me and it's time to show them. I would appreciate some support, So, what does a long awaited first win like?

On the other hand... there are just some times when you gotta let it all hang out and give it 110%. You're the only one who can tell when that time should be... or even IF it should be.

One thing I've learned about dirt bikes... A LOT of things seem impossible, until you give them a try. You may crash, but the thing won't be impossible to you anymore ?

My first win came as a surprise. I am not sure that trying extra hard will work out as MX is unpredictable. All the planets have to line up right. You can better your odds by spending a lot of practice time working on starts. Be in killer shape. Try to ride loose and focused on your lines. Drive in deep, hit the apex and come out hard. Good luck:ride:

My personal opinon is this. Winning is not won by letting it all hang out,I think you will make more mistakes and do worse. I think winning is picking the right lines to get around the corners fastest and hitting those lines EVERYTIME and every straight stretch is ran as hard as you do the holeshot stretch.Think about it when the gate drops you go as fast as you can and brake at the last second. How many people do you see do this for every straight stretch.

Assuming your the same speed as the other 2........Practice your starts.......its easier to win if you start with and stay with your competition.....until you decide to make your move.......and dont think you have to make your move right away either. Its easier to get into your competitions head by staying glued to them.....till they make a mistake......then motor away.

If you get a bad start ride as fast as you can the first lap and pass as many people as possible because that's when everyone is close together. If you get stuck in 12th place or so on the first lap you will already be around 10 seconds back which is very hard to make up especially if you have a short moto.

I also feel that its not wise to push it. If you were ready to win races, you'd be up front in the top 3 off the start and not having to battle your way through the field. You can't win a race on anger, you can't win a race on adrenaline either. You can only win a race by being better then the rest of the guys you race against on that given day and that takes time, skill and NOT making dumb mistakes and getting hurt. Just think of how your friends would think of you if you binned it and couldn't ride for a year, all because you wanted to win a race?

I've done a few years of racing (roadracing not MX) and when I got into it, I was already good enough to win in the class I started in. So for me, winning was a matter of showing up, getting on the bike, getting a better start then the rest of the guys and making no mistakes. Its the same in motocross, if you work on the first part of your race, the start and first lap, get that dialed in, then you should be able to fight further up the pack.

In terms of winning a race and what it feels like, honestly some of my best finishes have been against better people, on bigger bikes (racing up a class) and being on the podium. To me, those were by far the best races I ever had. Yes, it was only a hand-full of them, but even getting a 4th in a race where your competition is on 2x the displacement of you and the only reason why you got that final position was a good start and a healthy lead, thats pretty amazing. There were days I totally belonged on the podium, but totally didn't have the sheer horsepower to deal with my competitors. ?

All of that to say, winning takes time, it takes not getting hurt, it takes knowing the track intimately and practice, lots of practice.

The first win feels like a million bucks. Mine came on October 6th, 1985 in the 83cc beginner class at Barona Oaks Raceway. It was the best day of my life for about 20 years and one month, until my baby girl was born. Now it's still the 3rd best (behind her birth and my son's and just ahead of my wedding day.)

I will re-emphasize the importance of getting a start. Go practice your starts and get yourself into that top group from the beginning. Once you're there you'll realize that the front runners aren't that much faster than the also-rans; they simply have a better view. Convince yourself that you belong up there and the winning will come. Get focused, get a start and belive in yourself. Assuming you are in good enough shape, the win will come before you know it. Good luck!

i'm good enough to win, i have just had horrible luck, like my bike cutting out on the line or another kid taking me out, or getting stuck behind a lapper that wont get out of the way, or breaking my arm in practice, i also got passed on a yellow flag once

i'm good enough to win, i have just had horrible luck, like my bike cutting out on the line or another kid taking me out, or getting stuck behind a lapper that wont get out of the way, or breaking my arm in practice, i also got passed on a yellow flag once

Again, you can't win unless you are prepared to win. That means your bike has to work, that means you can't crash and hurt yourself. That means you can't allow other people to take you out. You need to get out front, stay out front and leave everyone else behind. When you can do that, only then are you truly ready to be a winner.

Obviously, getting passed on a yellow flag, that guy shoulda been black flagged out of the race IMO. So if you LOST a race to someone who did that, its a different story, I would have contested it.

Again, you can't win unless you are prepared to win. That means your bike has to work, that means you can't crash and hurt yourself. That means you can't allow other people to take you out. You need to get out front, stay out front and leave everyone else behind. When you can do that, only then are you truly ready to be a winner.

Obviously, getting passed on a yellow flag, that guy shoulda been black flagged out of the race IMO. So if you LOST a race to someone who did that, its a different story, I would have contested it.

Yeah it sucked, they didn't black flag him, my bike is 100%, new tire, always seviced, it's always been reliable too.

don't even think about the guy in front of you. look past him. as far ahead as you possibly can and aim to get to that point as fast as you can and keep doing that. ride like the others aren't there (but don't be ignorant to their presence) and blow right by 'em. have fun with it and most importantly keep it topside. you can't win if you DNF. no excuses either. nobody ever got a podium with an excuse.

first win is excellent, mine came first round of the new season after a really good preseason fitness regime, got a good start ,holeshot then my heart was pumping so much i had to tell myself to calm down. rode smooth and fast and no one could pass,all 4 races went the same was an excellent day