Sign in to follow this  

xr400 questions hotcam

i have a 96 xr400............162 main, 65 pilot......homemade baffle, snorkle removed, 10.1 piston.......pretty much the gordon mods.

i have a few questions about the hotcams stage 1 cam.

1} do i need the manual compression release? i have it off the bike with

stock cam.

2} will it help to run the aftermarket cdi with this cam? or does the bike gain

any power over the stock cdi?

i have a 96 xr400............162 main, 65 pilot......homemade baffle, snorkle removed, 10.1 piston.......pretty much the gordon mods.

i have a few questions about the hotcams stage 1 cam.

1} do i need the manual compression release? i have it off the bike with

stock cam.

2} will it help to run the aftermarket cdi with this cam? or does the bike gain

any power over the stock cdi?

You will be eliminating the auto de-comp mechanism with a hotcam so put the manual back on. It's not bad without it with the stock cam because the auto decomp is working when you kick it.

Aftermarket CDI is not needed IMO. XR's are low rpm motors so making them rev higher won't do much for you except make more noise and wear out the motor and valve train faster.

When researching the same I found the Stage 1 hotcam still kept the auto decomp mechanism where the stages 2 & 3 didn't and the manual decomp is needed. Might pay to check with whoever you are buying yours off to make sure. Got mine from ATV Unlimited on feebay

Unless hotcams changed the stage 1 cam, all their cams do not run the auto decomp. The stage 1 I had did not have one, my new stage 3 does not have one.

Definitely reinstall the manual compression release, other wise you will risk breaking your countershaft......................been there done that twice.

I am running a white brother rev kit on my bike. I did not get it for the increased rev limiter. I got it for the different ignition mapping which turns on much quicker than stock. My bike is no CRF, but it is all but that, it flat out rips and I am extremely happy with all the mods I have done.

I would be suprised to see a hotcam with the auto decomp fitted. However I think the Honda HRC cam does have it!

I have a stage 1 hotcam, love it. On the last ride my manual decomp cable broke, I can confirm life is much more happier with it working. Actually I disliked the auto decomp on the stock cam, it made finding TDC much more tricky.

I've just fitted a CRF clutch perch, using its hotstart lever for the manual decomp cable, makes the handlebar a bit more "clean".

ThumperTDC, which rev range is affected by your white brother rev kit? Many thanks.

To be honest I dont have the exact answer for that. I have had it on my bike for about 6 or 7 years now and installed it at the same time when I originally installed the stage 1 cam. Initially I was rather disappointed at both mods until I realized that I was running gravel roads to break the cam in. Once I hit the dirt it was an entirely different story.