Sign in to follow this  

New Bike Maintenance

Last weekend I traded in my blue blood for some red blood and bought a 2012 CRF250R, so I will be spending a bunch of time in this area of TT now – I traded in my ’03 WR250F.

I can’t really give a real comparison between the bikes because it would be like comparing an apple to a pumpkin – this bike makes my wrf feel like a freaking tank! But I can say that I was very impressed with the power right off the bottom and the throttle response. I haven’t had a chance to ride it hard because I was breaking it in, but I think I am going to absolutely love this bike…not to mention the suspension is a HUGE upgrade.

Anyways, I am doing the post break-in maintenance and the manual calls for the fork oil to be replaced after the first ride, which I thought was unusual. It’s not very difficult to do, but I was not expecting to do it so soon. The only reason I can come up with is that parts will wear excessively during break-in just like in the motor and transmission…and metal shavings could clog the orifices in the fork. However, why then does it not call for the shock to be serviced? Does anyone have any opinions about this – do they replace the fork oil this soon and what not?

I have already replaced the motor and transmission oil, cleaned the air filter, and tightened the chain…I will set the sag and check valve clearances this weekend. Is there any other maintenance yall recommend?

I've never changed my fork oil that fast. I always wait till the suspension breaks in and then change the oil. At that point I decide on fork oil height and springs. I pretty much took my bike apart and greased everything and every bolt I took out I put a dab of anti sieze on it before I put it back on. Order a new chain now, your gonna need it very soon. Enjoy the bike, I like mine a lot now that I have it my gearing right.

1. Air Filter after every ride.

2. Oil 'both sides' every 12hr

3. I would do the oil filter every second oil change.

4. All bearings checked and greased with water proof grease ASAP as the Jap bikes dont have much grease in them. (I would also do the rear linkage)

5. Standard tubes are not very good I got a flat on mt second ride. (change)

6. Like you said set the sag and ride. Have fun.

Note: In case you ask, valves are no longer a problem so I would check them every 20-30hr.