Sign in to follow this  

Leatt brace with Airoh helmet problem

Does anyone else have a problem with forward visability with an Airoh helmet and the leatt ?

I have been racing for 3 yers and have always worn the leatt while riding and have always worn fox V2 helmets but have recently swapped to an Airoh Aviator. I cant look up at all with the Airoh, i rode with it in practice and couldnt look up on the fast straights and in the first race i decided to ride with out the leatt,

Is there any one else having this / had this problem?

I have adjusted the leatt so its all the way back but the helmet seems to be a really low on the neck and nearly always touches the back of the leatt brace....... i even tried wearing the leatt without the rear padding to see if it helped, it did but its still a pain in the ass...

I would like to ride with the leatt still but i noticed a fair few european pro riders who wear Airoh helmets dont wear leatt or any neck braces either (not saying i am a pro! )

Any help is appriciated!

Kevo

I have the aviator and a leatt, no problem with clearance, i would suspect adjustment..

I'm liking the look and price of the new evs brace..

I just bought one of the aviator's and I have the problem with the Leatt brace. Looking at the shape of the Aviator, I suspected beforehand that this might be a problem, but I wanted the top of the range helmet.

I'm getting a lot less range of movement compared to my old Airoh Stelt helmet, but I haven't tried riding with the new set up yet. My Leatt is adjusted to the maximum setting. I'm debating whether or not to send the helmet back, or to give it a try, but if it isn't acceptable I've kind of wasted alot of money. Or I could stop wearing the neck brace. I noticed that Antonio Cairoli stopped wearing his since upgrading to the Aviator.

Or maybe I should send the helmet back and buy a lower model i.e. Airoh Stelt Easy.

Steve, I'd be interested to know which part of your helmet touches the neck brace first ... whether it is the pointy bit on the the rim of the shell or the back of the shell. And which length arms do you use on the brace? I have the medium "arms" at the hinge/clip joint, I suppose longer ones might make the brace sit lower and further back at the rear.

BiggerKevo, did you solve the problem?

Edited by MC422

Just to let anyone who is interested know, there is a black plastic nut on the rear wing adjustment screws. It has a guide pin nob type thing on the inside that fits in the slot to make sure it all aligns when sliding the rear wing up and down. If you flip the nut so that the nob is on the top side of the screw (when holding the brace in normal upright position), you can get the rear wing slid down an extra 3mm lower, with the screws bumped right up against the edge of the adjustment slots. I've made the adjustment and the extra 3mm makes a difference.

Also, Leatt make a DBX brace now for mountain biking. It is exact lythe same as the GPX, except it has thinner padding, meaning more range of motion. Leatt don't recommend it for motox, they don't say why, but I have ordered a setof the replacement DBX pads to try them out. Not sure if i need them anymore as i havent tested with the new set up on the bike yet.

Edited by MC422

Hi guys,

Since first posting i have been racing without the Leatt though i still have it in the garage and would preffer to ride with it if i can find a way to look ahead on the track,

MC422 - Yeah i tried a few laps of the track after taking off the rear tray padding as well as the padding on the bit that runs down your back and it helped, but after i took the leatt off and rode a few more laps to compare it felt like a huge relief, so i don't think i have fixed the problem yet, well not for me though.

I have tested the small, medium (standard) and large hinges to see what works better. the large hinges give more rear helmet movement but it pushes the top of the brace away from your back which means poor fitment,

I know its frowned upon but im going to grind two 5mm grooves where the two rear allen key bolts hit the rear 'deck' to allow me to lower the deck 5mm, without padding htat should hopefully work, I'll post up photos of this when i do it this weekend,

Cheers

kevo

My Update: After turning the nuts upside down & fitting the thinner MTB padding, I did gain more range, but it still wasn't good enough hence I'm not wearing my Leatt these days.

yeah mate thats the same result as me, next time im at the track im going to borrow someones alpinestars bionic and see if thats better, it seems to be much lower at the back compared to leatt