Sign in to follow this  

what tools do i need

I got a cr500 motor, needs a new case gasket, i got all the parts it needs, the only thing i dont have is any specialty tools for splitting the bottom end. I've never split cases before, well i have but the motor was so toast (yz250) that it wasnt worth putting back togeather. i know i can take apart the bottom end no problem but theres about 150 bucks in special tools i need. my question is the crank installer, the tool that pulls the crank into the bearing. I'm not gunna remove the crank so do i need this tool to put the cases back togeather or can i just heat the case and drop/press the ignition side case on. the installer tool is like 60 bucks, seems a bit pricey so i am wondering if i can get buy without it, thanks for any help

iv done it with just heat, meany, meany times.

you will how ever need a flywheel puller. that is a must!

everything els just makes life easy and makes you look "profetionle"

You need the clutch holder tool, Case splitter, and the flywheel puller. Tusk makes all of them and they can be bought pretty cheap through Rocky Mountain ATV. As I remember the case splitter was $50, the flywheel puller was $15, and the Clutch holder tool was like $15.

As stated above, you can just use heat to drop the crank back into the bearing, no need to buy the puller tool.

you can use a harmonic balencer puller for your case spliter. 10 bucks at the local auto store. and 3 bucks for the proper hardware from a local bolt shop.

Thanks, thats what i wanted to hear. I'll be ordering all the tools today then

you can use a harmonic balencer puller for your case spliter. 10 bucks at the local auto store. and 3 bucks for the proper hardware from a local bolt shop.

What he said....

IMG_3593.jpg

Use wooden shims (used for installing doors) to control the split making sure it stays even. Don't use putty knife or screw driver as that can damage the gasket surfaces.

yep to the above! dropping the crank / bearings / seals in the deep freeze to shrink them will help a lot on assembly.

If u have no air wrench, u can skip the clutch tool by putting few inches of nylon lead rope down into the cylinder, using the piston to lock the rod. if engine was in bike u *can* put bike in 5th, and lock rear brake.

Eric Gorr is where I discovered the immeasurable value of a $19 harbor freight 1/2" impact gun and $40 compressor. With this, u can merely pop primary gear nuts, clutch basket nuts, fork base-valves, etc. right off, no effort, no damage. Mark them prior with a paint pen, and u know how tightly to reinstall them as well (provided the bike was not opened up by some hack last time).

Eric Gorr's $20 book is the best twenty u will ever spend on dirtbike tools, period. Tons of shop tricks in it, plus setup tips for each model of bike.

I also like to use scrap pieces of 2x4 and 4x4 timbers to put the engine on once it is on my workbench, moving them around until the engine is totally and levelly supported, no rocking. Makes the job a lot easier if u have no one to help hold it!