Sign in to follow this  

looking for a 1998/2002 250 exc in nor cal

i am looking for a 2002 or older 250 exc in ok/good condition

i am willing to drive pretty far to get a good bike

the pickings on craigslist are slim. i can find an mxc but the exc's have either a pink slip "issue" or way to many extra's to be affordable

Usually if I am looking to buy an older machine I try to keep my options a bit open as to the model but look for a very clean version at a good price. I assume you are looking 02 or older for a green sticker?

Keep your eyes open for a 300 or 200 none are bad and all are tuneable, parts are widely available new or used.

i have around 2000

yes i need a green sticker

i found a stock mxc250 at 1600 but its gonna need a going over and some wide pegs and other bits so its closer to 1800/1900

of the other two one has title issues and the other one has o7 450 forks and an 05 shock and is too expensive at 3000

just looking for one thats clean and is ready to go

i wore out my eyes searching out info on the differences between the exc's and the mxc's and just kind of settled on "wide ratio tranny" as being the one for me

Ahh well I would not fret over wide ratio vs. close ratio as much as I would a lower hour clean bike. Where are you in CA? I prefer the close ratio MXC to the wide ratio EXC in all conditions except wide open spaces where you can use the taller gears on top.

i am in oakland and mostly ride carnegie and stonyford with occasional trips up to the sierra's

i couldn't really find a post that really showed how much the difference was between the two tranny ratio's

what i gathered was the exc had a lower 1st and a higher 5 and 6th but 2,3,4 were the same

and i am not sure just how much of a difference between the higher gears and what that actually is as far as top speed i.e does an mxc top out at 50mph and an exc run the same rpm at 70mph

there is a sweet 200 for sale on the venice beach craigslist that is priced right and has some decent mods but i think i'd drive there for a 250 but not a 200

I just went from an exc transmission in my 200 to an SX close ratio. I had 14/48 gearing and after the transmission swap I lost a fair amount of top speed and 1st was still very very low, I am now running 14/45 gearing because I had a 45 on hand, it still runs a tad slower than it did before on the top end but it's a much better overall package.

I don't like the wide ratio transmissions as usually 1st is nearly non-usable its so low and I don't like the gaps in between the upper gears. IMO the close ratio bikes are more desirable than the wide ratio's.

But like I said before when I was in the same shoes as you which means I wanted a low hour clean green sticker two stroke I bought what I could get a good deal on that was clean. I was open to 200,250, or 300. I had already owned two 300's, I found an 01 200 exc and really enjoyed it a lot but was never real happy with the wide ratio. Well low and behold after a couple of years I busted a tooth on third gear, so I found a close ratio transmission used and had the whole motor rebuilt and transmission installed.

Keep your mind open to that 200 its a good package, if you want to try one I will be riding at Hollister Hills this Sunday and I'd let you throw a leg over mine.

i was riding my buddys 200 out at carnegie and hollister and that was what sold me on the better geometry and climbing vs my kdx and its less planted nature on steep climbs

thanx for the ride offer