I wish I never bought my YZ250F.....

:worthy: Now I probably can't get rid of it without loosing my A%$. If I could get anywhere near what I paid for it not including what I put into it, I would be unbelievably happy.:ride: Well for starters don't get me wrong. I am far from bashing the four stroker.? I do prefer the two strokes but the four stroke could be and actually are easier to ride, especially for the beginner. That is why I bought it in the first place, for my beginner nephew. When I test rode it, I was amazed on how easy it was to ride and just had to get it. For a beginner, you could get it going without really worrying about stalling it with poor clutch control, then get it in almost any of the five gears you want and still easily chug it around without much gearshift work. All my other bikes are two strokes so having another gas can to haul around sucks as well as the potential added maintenance cost. Luckily I didn't have those maintenance costs yet since the one I bought was in pretty good shape and since I do not ride the bike at all. Anyway, it looks like more people are looking for the two stokes on the used market than for the four strokes. As mentioned, I bought mine for my nephew a year and a half ago. It's a 2002 so it was hard for him to start due to the difficult decompression procedure. I didn’t want him to get discouraged with the hard starting since he should have been practicing more on clutch work and riding technique instead of starting the thing. Since I really wanted him to ride, worry free, I immediately bought him a YZ125, which I should have done in the first place, especially for the starting easy part. Now all is good but I have a four stroke that I don't use at all and never did, since I ride an RM250 and a YZ250, both two strokes. I thought to keep the four stroke as a spare bike, so I bought the Hot Cams 2003+ exhaust with auto decompression. That made a HUGE difference in starting. It was like night and day. I also bought brand new radiators and louvers, a new kick start lever, new gearshift lever, new chain and sprockets, new wheel bearings, new levers, new tires, new seat (old one was torn a little), etc, etc. I even bought a complete very lightly used spare clutch assembly, including the inner basket, outer basket, pressure plate hub and all the friction discs and plate, springs etc. I bought the bike for $1900 and put a bunch into it as you could see. I would be hugely happy if I got my original $1900 or even a little less, and call it a learning experience. I could then justify another YZ250 for me. I will also be getting my niece a TTR 125 L so she could join us ring as well. I Just though I would share my experience with all of you riders. Think about what you are buying before buying.

Because I really like the YZ250, especially the newer ones, not to mention some parts could interchange or be spared easier. And because the don't make 2 Stroke RM's any more. And because I do not and will not ride the 250 4 stroke. If I did, I would prefer a 125 two stroke, which I don't. I am too heavy for the 125 class bikes, which is the class the 250 four stoke is in, power considering. But thanks for asking.

If you wanna sell your 250F, that's cool. However, you say that the newer YZ250s are what you like. What's different between your 07 and the 12 model?

By newer, I mean the 06 and up. They pretty much stayed the same after 2006 from what I understand. The aluminum frame is cool as well as the mods they made to the suspension. The only thing I really hate about the YZ's are the front brakes.

I would agree that the 02 vs a 125 would be a 50/50. I don't blame your nephew for favoring the 125. If that yz250f was an 08 I would say he's just not paying attention but that costs a bunch more for you to invest. Ive been in that spot before with my niece and nephew too and what I learned was more about them and me than the bikes. Good Luck!

Hmmm you over paid for a beat up 02 bike, dumped a lot of good money after bad. Now you have a bike that cost you close to twice what you paid and at best, is worth $1300.

Not razzing but that is a fact of life. As you know by now, you should of bought a 07 or 08 for that $3K and it would still be worth close to that. I suggest riding the 02 till it dies then part it out, that is the only way you are going to see any return on your investment.

Hmmm you over paid for a beat up 02 bike, dumped a lot of good money after bad. Now you have a bike that cost you close to twice what you paid and at best, is worth $1300.

Not razzing but that is a fact of life. As you know by now, you should of bought a 07 or 08 for that $3K and it would still be worth close to that. I suggest riding the 02 till it dies then part it out, that is the only way you are going to see any return on your investment.

Thanks for the reply but it wasn't beat up. I am a perfectionist when it comes to my bikes, so the parts I put into it were only to get it to like new condition. The KBB value at the time I bought it was about $2200, so I didn't make out too bad at the time, thinking I was going to keep it. It really just goes to show you how little the 4 strokes keep their value. I was new to the 4 strokes at the time so I didn't know any better. I did buy a 07 YZ250 two stroke, for about $2700. It's worth more than that and I will never regret that buy like the 250F.

As a perfectionist, it is then cheaper to buy a new bike. Or find a one or two year old one that the owner never rode. A ninie year old bike is worth what a nine year old one goes for. Actual condition can only make it worth less. Know what I mean?

It does sound like you got a great deal on then 2S. Just keep parts replacing in check. It is not like it is a museum show piece. Unless you can afford to restore it and then put the bike in a bag for the next 20 to thirty years.

No bike holds its value. Compare the MSRP of the 07 2S you got to what you paid and the MSRP of the 02 4S to what you paid.

I find bikes kind of like rebuilding an older car or truck. It's a hobby and supposed to be fun. You know you're going to spend a lot fixing it up and you know you're not going to get any money out of it but you make it yours. You put on the parts you want to and add your own personal touch. You machine parts and fabricate other things for it to separate the bike or car from the thousands of others out there. You make the bike something that you're proud of. Even if I had the money to run out and buy a brand new 2012 WR I'd still end up modifying it to make it different. If your the type that doesn't like to get your hands dirty and just to want to put gas in her and go then yes you need to do some research and get a good bike that's not going to require work. I don't think I'll ever sell my 04 just because I put so much work into it any other bike is going to be a let down.

• Like 1

You may be surprised to get close to 1900... 1600-1800 easily -- sounds like a nice bike and nice bikes are hard to find in that price range.

I agree with you on a used 125 over a used 250f --- imho used 250f's seem to get used up fast because they have to rev to make power.

I have an 02 250F and can understand what you are saying about the hard starting. I swapped out the exhaust cam for an 03 auto de-comp and the Ti valves for Kiblewhite steel valves. One of the problems i always had was the stock kick starter sucks (in my opinion) so i modified a KX250F kick starter to fit (couldn't find any aftermarket) and that helped me get more of a solid kick. Also i came across a starting procedure that works rather well.

My cold starting procedure:

1. open choke

2. open hot start

3. twist throttle 2-3 times

4. kick start bike

5. when bike starts shut off hot start

6. let bike warm up on choke

7. go ride ?

My bike will start within 4 kicks EVERY TIME... I have used this procedure for 6 years now and have never had a problem. Give it a try. If you can get past the starting problem you said it your self it is a good bike.

I have an 02 250F and can understand what you are saying about the hard starting. I swapped out the exhaust cam for an 03 auto de-comp and the Ti valves for Kiblewhite steel valves. One of the problems i always had was the stock kick starter sucks (in my opinion) so i modified a KX250F kick starter to fit (couldn't find any aftermarket) and that helped me get more of a solid kick. Also i came across a starting procedure that works rather well.

My cold starting procedure:

1. open choke

2. open hot start

3. twist throttle 2-3 times

4. kick start bike

5. when bike starts shut off hot start

6. let bike warm up on choke

7. go ride ?

My bike will start within 4 kicks EVERY TIME... I have used this procedure for 6 years now and have never had a problem. Give it a try. If you can get past the starting problem you said it your self it is a good bike.

You do realize that using the choke and the hot start is contradictory, right?

You're making the mixture richer using the choke, leaner using the hot start and flooding it with the accelerator pump...

If your jetting is right, spark is good, and valves are in spec, you should be able to start it in one or two kicks

• 2 months later...

762SPR, you are very correct. However... jetting is correct and valves are in spec. I had the most trouble with this thing trying to start it from day one. I got the bike used (5 moths old) it started ok for the next 6 or so months then it was a pain. A friend mentioned this to me and have never had a problem sense. My point is that it works and I go riding. I do not have any issues starting it and I enjoy the bike. If it works for him then great. If not o well worth a try.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your 250f. It still shouldn't be a bad bike. Maybe you can get some money out of it. As stated before, a newer generation definately would be a more competative bike for the 250 2strokes you like (espec the 2010 +). It's kinda not fair to compare the 2 bikes when it comes to holding their value either. The newer YZ250 2strokes are stagnant in development and still in demand, in relation to the amount that are out there (taking into consideration no other japanese competition etc). An 02 250f, on the other hand, is a bit older and being left behind in the fast developing 250f class as the years go on. It's all about the latest and greatest in that class. It's unfortunate that the bike doesn't fit the preferences of either you or your nephew.