Sign in to follow this  

Street legal 2 stroke?

Street legal 2 stroke? Oh yeah, I have an RMX250. Gonna take a ton of work for a YZ125. Lights, ability to power them (stock stator can't handle), turn signals and relays/switches, license plate mount and light, etc. And you will need an ACTUAL title to get it registered, not too terrible common on MX bikes.

And while you don't have to, you should do some engine type work for it to be street friendly. Motocross sprockets don't like highway speed. A high peaky powerband doesn't fit with the reality of street riding unless you love fouled plugs. FWW would be nice too. And unless you will never step away from it, a key would be good - don't want a thief kickstarting it and riding away when you are not looking. 👍 Just some thoughts.

Your listed location of California is notably not friendly to those evil, dirty, smoky, 2 stroke rolling pollution stations. :worthy::ride:

Oh yeah California is terrible with all their regulations. But any way I guess my question is more generally what do I need to make a two stroke legal. I know about all the lights and everything but what about DMV stuff, smog, or registration?

I have a street legal YZ250, with a Colorado title. The biggest investment is for the eline stator to power the headlight/taillight. You'll need a brake light switch thingy for the rear brake(installs at the master cylinder), DOT tires, a mirror/reflectors and a horn. Then you take it to the state patrol for an inspection, take the inspection form with your proof on insurance to the DMV and get a tag/title. Here in Montrose it is an easy process once you know the rules.

That all being said, riding the YZ for any distance on the road is painful, I got it tagged just for connecting trails and going into towns for fuel/food, top speed is somewhere around 45mph, but mine is slightly geared down, stock gearing you might see 55mph.

thank you! thats exactly what I was looking for. I think like you said the main reason i would get it plated would be for short runs into town or to connect trails, theres no way I would ever ride on the highway.

2011-05-18_09-54-33_966.jpg

2011-05-18_09-54-50_743.jpg

It's doable. I plated mine this past February here in CO but sold it recently and kept the light kit...if you're interested in it let me know. It runs off a battery so you don't need to update the stator.