Sign in to follow this  

Switching from 03 CRF450 to an 03 YZ250

I have been riding for 4 years and have been riding an 03 CRF450 for the last two years. I am 6'1" 210lbs. I recently came across someone that is looking for a 450 and I have been interested in a two stroke. He is willing to make a straight. My only worry is the power difference between the two bikes. I love the smooth delivery of my 450 but in some situations the bike has to much power for me. I have heard that YZ250's are like on/off switches and have unpredictable powerbands. I ride mostly trails some two way and some technical singletrack. Any help would be appreciated

Before you even consider a smoker I would ride one of your buddy's for a day and see if it's worth it.I would think at 210lbs that yz250 is going to be ridden hard to keep up with your crf450.

Im 200 and love my RM250. I have ridden a few YZ450F's and one RMZ450- I thought they all felt very heavy on turn-in and didn't like to change lines.

Its definitely a different riding style- give it some time and I bet you'll like it a lot!

just my2cents i had an 04 crf 450 and went to a 03 yz250 now my bike sits because i hate it...to much power up front for me and thats with a 13oz flyww....i wish i would of kept my 4 banger.

I had a 03YZ250 for about 4 years. I was about 200lbs at the time (lost alittle since) but it pulled me just fine, they probably have the smoothest power delievery of all the 250 2 stroke MX bikes. All i rode was technical trails, single track, hill climbs, and otherwise nasty stuff. Its perfect for it, Ive tried 450's in the trails, they have more power then neccesary but thats not really the problem, its all the unneccesary weight. I am now on a GasGas 300 2 stroke and it has low end like a 450 with a top end like a 250, I would say try the YZ250, and if you like it but miss some of the low end and midrange of your 450, try a KTM or GasGas 300. it will amaze you...best bikes ive ever ridden.

Also just wanted to add, i have a few ridding buddies that are local offroad Pro's/top 25 finishers in GNCC's....all of them ride YZ250's and wont ride anything else...so that says something about them to me. Many of them had tried the 450's and switched back.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to test ride his yz250 on friday and he is going to ride my bike. I'll see how it goes and let you guys know. Ill post pictures of my bike and his bike tomorrow and see what you guys think the fair market value for each bike is.

My 03 crf450r (60 Hours):

DNA Wheels w/18” Rear

Fastway F6 Footpegs

Ride Engineering Brake Clevis

Lightspeed Full Skidplate

Works Connection Radiator Guards

Works Connection Pro Clutch Perch

ASV F3 Front Brake Lever

G2 Ergonomics Throttle Cam System

Pro Taper Evo Bars

Galfer SS Front Brake Line

T.M. Designworks Case Saver and Chain Guide