Sign in to follow this  

2012 KX450F bogging or missing under hard throttle?

Recently my 2012 KX450F misses, almost like a bog, when I nail the throttle (like on the downside of a jump). Bike is about 2 months old, always uses non-ethanol gas, air filter cleaned regularly and oil changed often. Did not do this until the past weekend.

My 2009 had no bog or miss in similar conditions.

Currently it has a very aggressive map (borrowed from a top 20 AMA pro) and while I could change the map I merely wanted to ask if anyone else with the '12 has experienced a bog or miss on hard throttle applications.

Thanks in advance.

Probably not the educated answer you are looking for, but: I have and did notice that my idle was really low when I first got my bike (stalled in the corners, etc). I turned it up, and it has helped (I don't stall nearly as much).

I have an 11 that had similar issues and mod. Was this happening before the map change? I don't think it would have anything to do with the map, just wondering. How well do you clean yours? I ask this because all the connections for FI are not exactly water proof. Take the tank off, with rad. shrouds and disconnect, clean, and lube with di-electric grease every connector you can find. Inspect closely for corrosion on every pin fit.

If this is a problem you can force to happen that is good, that way after you have cleaned and sealed everything you can test and know if you have fixed it. If it is an intermittent issue you may need deep pockets or another bike to swap parts from until you find the problem.

I believe, most likely it is a pin fit issue. (least expensive to diagnose also) If it's not a pin fit issue your in for quite extensive diagnostic procedures.

Oh ya... check the simple things. Is the fuel cap venting properly? More than 1/4 tank of fuel? Drain the tank, look for signs of water or dirt in the fuel and in the sump for the fuel pump. Is the FI light showing codes? Have any of the wires that pass the exhaust been melted or pinched by the shock?

Thanks for the input! The aggressive map took place a long time ago and the bike has been ridden often and hard since then. This past weekend was the first real noticeable bog/hesitation.

I'm going to go through and inspect/clean per your recommendations!! Thank you, again.

I have an 11 that had similar issues and mod. Was this happening before the map change? I don't think it would have anything to do with the map, just wondering. How well do you clean yours? I ask this because all the connections for FI are not exactly water proof. Take the tank off, with rad. shrouds and disconnect, clean, and lube with di-electric grease every connector you can find. Inspect closely for corrosion on every pin fit.

If this is a problem you can force to happen that is good, that way after you have cleaned and sealed everything you can test and know if you have fixed it. If it is an intermittent issue you may need deep pockets or another bike to swap parts from until you find the problem.

I believe, most likely it is a pin fit issue. (least expensive to diagnose also) If it's not a pin fit issue your in for quite extensive diagnostic procedures.

Oh ya... check the simple things. Is the fuel cap venting properly? More than 1/4 tank of fuel? Drain the tank, look for signs of water or dirt in the fuel and in the sump for the fuel pump. Is the FI light showing codes? Have any of the wires that pass the exhaust been melted or pinched by the shock?

Your reply was exactly the cure for my 12's issue! Many thanks.

Do you know exactly what the problem was or one of the steps fixed it and you are not sure which one, just glad?

Just curious, I'm making a mental note of all the FI bikes with pin fit issues or connector problems wanting to see if the same connector shows it's face time and time again.

I don't know exactly what it was, but we do know my nephew was getting really aggressive with the power sprayer under the tank and around the frame. I believe the blasts of water were to blame.

Absolutely no issues at this weekend's off-road race.