Sign in to follow this  

Just got me a 2001 YZ 250 for MX! Questions about suspension interchangability

shred-yz-250.jpg

So I just picked this 2001 YZ 250 up for the screaming price of $900! Even came with a few extras which is nice!

So now that I've got a dirtbike for MX instead of my piggy WR400, it's time to set this thing up for MX. I'm not exactly skinny at 210lbs, so I've got to get it sprung and setup for my weight. I figure since I'm going to that much effort, I might as well try and pick up the best shock and forks!

Now please don't tell me to search, because I have searched trust me. I spent all day yesterday and today pawing through a google search of just thumper talk for the keywords "2001 yz 250" and I've read a ton. It's through doing this, that I know that you can exchange the rear shock from newer yz 250's to this bike, and that you can somewhat with the front forks but you run into issues with 2006 or so being larger in size, and some changes in the triple tree and spacing.

So oh wise thumper talkers, what are the best direct bolt on components to seek out for this bike?

If you're going to go through the hassle of buying new suspension components, get the 06+ SSS stuff.

You will need the triple clamps and forks, maybe the wheel spacers (?).

The rear shock is pretty much identical to yours. Just get that one rebuilt/valved and resprung for your weight and ability.

BTW, sweet bike! But put that brake line in front of your number plate. You don't want it rubbing/chafing and bursting a hole.

If you're going to go through the hassle of buying new suspension components, get the 06+ SSS stuff.

You will need the triple clamps and forks, maybe the wheel spacers (?).

The rear shock is pretty much identical to yours. Just get that one rebuilt/valved and resprung for your weight and ability.

I doubt they are identical. My rear shock doesn't have high speed compression on it. So I might as well go all out for a new one!

Apparently the vin checks as a 1999, but the bike was supposed to be a 2001? I've read a bunch of threads where people have parts from varying years on their YZ's, especially the pist. Anyways, that may be the difference where my rear shock doesn't have high speed compression..

I know I'll need the newer triples to run 06+ front forks, but the problem I've heard is that they don't bolt right up, and the wheel spacer thing. I wish there was a write up on doing this conversion!

BTW, sweet bike! But put that brake line in front of your number plate. You don't want it rubbing/chafing and bursting a hole.

Good to know. I will do this for sure. Front brakes need a serious bleeding anyways. Kid who owned this thing had no idea what he was up to. Fortunately he almost never rode it, so it's not as bad as it could be.

I doubt they are identical. My rear shock doesn't have high speed compression on it. So I might as well go all out for a new one!

Apparently the vin checks as a 1999, but the bike was supposed to be a 2001? I've read a bunch of threads where people have parts from varying years on their YZ's, especially the pist. Anyways, that may be the difference where my rear shock doesn't have high speed compression..

I know I'll need the newer triples to run 06+ front forks, but the problem I've heard is that they don't bolt right up, and the wheel spacer thing. I wish there was a write up on doing this conversion!

Good to know. I will do this for sure. Front brakes need a serious bleeding anyways. Kid who owned this thing had no idea what he was up to. Fortunately he almost never rode it, so it's not as bad as it could be.

i went through the same thing on the two yz250's i just bought although i got 02/03. they previous owners ran 24:1 the carbs were clogged suspension setup all wacky. but they run good with a jd jet kit and cleaned carb=)

the newer forks seem to have downsized in diameter by 2mm and the steering stem on the 125/250f is different length so stay yz250/yz450 front suspension

the rear shock on the newer stuff came with ti rear spring too

You must not have a 2001 rear shock then. My 2000 rear shock has high speed.

I've read multiple posts by users saying the triple clamps from the aluminum frame bikes fit, but I've read some posts that say they don't fit. I do know the 125/250f has a shorter stud.

I believe you can press out your stock triple clamp stud and press it into the new clamps.

If the spacers changed on the new suspension, it should be as easy as using the new spacers. I believe the hubs and bearings are the same from 1999-present, so the new spacers should fit (assuming the 2001 spacers don't).

EDIT: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807710&highlight=sss+on+00

Edited by GMO397

Yeah, this must be a 1999. Doh!

I'll try and pick up the 2001+ rear shock when money allows. Right now I'm swamped just getting it trail worthy. I need to swap out the chain and sprockets, front tire, rear tire, front wheel bearigns and probably rear wheel bearings... the list goes on as to what is involved to make this bike kick ass and take names... but it damn well is going to rock when I'm done!

Quick question for everybody:

I'm looking at all the jets everyone runs for my pipe combo, and it seems like just about everyone goes with 172 main, 45 pilot, and that is what the JD jet kit comes with.

I know I can get JUST the pilot jet and main for less than $10 at my local dealer. Any particular reason I shouldn't just do that as a temporary solution for the jetting probably/possibly being way off? When testing the bike it definitely felt sluggish / rich.

Quick question for everybody:

I'm looking at all the jets everyone runs for my pipe combo, and it seems like just about everyone goes with 172 main, 45 pilot, and that is what the JD jet kit comes with.

I know I can get JUST the pilot jet and main for less than $10 at my local dealer. Any particular reason I shouldn't just do that as a temporary solution for the jetting probably/possibly being way off? When testing the bike it definitely felt sluggish / rich.

I had a JD kit for my old 125. For me it was a waste of money.

I believe that if you spend a little bit of time working with keihen jets and needles, you can get a very good running bike.

The JD jet kit is better for those who wish to not have to fiddle with jetting as much.

Welp, I bought the jets anyways, and I'm going to try and slap them in and see what results I get. I also picked up 4 spark plugs at a stupid cheap price from a local automotive parts place so if I foul plugs I can always just swap a new one in.

I got a new front tire, new chain and sprocket setup and new front brake pads. Next up is front and rear wheel bearings, and then this bikes dangerously bad issues are taken care of. From there I'll be replacing all the swingarm/linkage bearings, getting more modern suspension setup, get it setup for my weight, and just wheelie on off into the sunset form there!

I don't think the 02 is new enough to make it worth switching. The rear shock possibly, although I have an offer for an 06 rear shock for $85 shipped as is.