Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice on Jetting modded xr650r

I recently just bought a 2001 XR650r

Full Leo Vince exaugst

Stage 2 Cams

Hinson Clutch Basket

200w Stator

Excel/Talon Supermoto setup

Ive read they run hot but i rode it today for first 30+min ride around town and when at stop lights i could just feel crazy amount of heat on my legs. Idk cause its aftermarket headers it makes it hotter. Even up top where u check oil next to gas tank was crazy HOT that u could barely touch frame. Touching the black hose that goes into theremostat was insanely hot. I recently changed coolant and took out thermostat and it feels like it gets hotter quicker when i first start bike.. Bike starts 1st 2nd try usually and seems to idle a little rough. Bike runs good and seems to have no lag.

(rode it for 20mins recently and pulled up to friends house and after 2 mins of idling bike just shuts off and i couldnt get it started till it cooled off 30mins later)

All i know right now about my jets are that i have 165s, b53e. And i have to open up to see what else i have.

Any advice would be helpful

If this is normal for it to feel this hot?

Why would it be hard to start after bike killed itself?

Is this question unanswerable until i figure out rest of my jets?

When bleeding air out of coolant should coolant level go down alittle when snaping throttle?

(thinking maybe water pump isnt working and coolant isnt flowing?)

Edited by Shenk408
Fot some info

1.) If you don't have actual numbers to go with temperature or at least a reference point like boilover, then you don't know whether it's too hot or not. you're not supposed to be able to grab a 200° radiator hose and hold your hand on it.

2.) 165 main is on the small side from what I have seen of others' claimed jetting. Find out what the pilot is since you're likely spending a lot more time on the pilot circuit unless you ride at ~60%+ throttle all the time.

i have a 650 r that i just rebulit .its running the b53e needle up on 4th notch from top of needle.68s pilot jet.178 main.exhaust is stock with the center cut out of the baffle.cam is stage 1 hot cam.has xrs only vent kit on the side panel + xr400 cdi box.bike runs great.you probably need a 175-178-180 mains with 68s or 70 pilot.i have the trailtech vapor computor with the coolant temp hooked up.these bikes will get hot fast sitting at a stop light in traffic.i have a electric fan on the rh radiator and it just slows down the overheating process.