Sign in to follow this  

WR controls

Hi all, I'm new here, and also fairly new to riding.

I apologize if there is already an answer to this somewhere, I have searched this topic, haven't been able to find one.

I have an issue with my bar clamps and controls moving around.

I suppose easy movement will help prevent damage, but this seems too easy.

The headlight/blinker/horn control is the worst, i can't get it to stay in place, it moves around with a minimal amount of force. the clutch and brake lever clamps are better but still not good, and a small knock will have them twisting to a position where i have to stop and readjust.

I am a serial over-tightener, so they are definitely not too loose. I tried doing the clutch clamp up extra tight and snapped a bolt 👍

(In my defense, the bolt did seem to be made from a very light material.)

Next step was going to be to try adding a piece of inner tube under the clamps.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or can anyone suggest a better solution?

Cheers.

you really have to watch how evenly you clamp down those top clamps but if you use a torque wrench you shouldn't have to worry about tightening too much.. don't blame those bolts. they aren't the problem. maybe get some help, this should be simple. I know an overtighener too. he's a good mech but everything gets stripped out, he has to be real careful or use a torque wrench

I do believe a small torque wrench could be the answer to most of my problems, but maybe not all.

After replacing the snapped bolt, (being very careful not to over tighten) the clutch perch still spins on the bar.

I'm about to go and wind some electrical tape around the bar under the controls to make a softer bed for the clamps and hopefully provide a little extra traction, maybe it will help.

Just fixed the problem.

For some reason there was a slight greasy residue under all clamps.

Took all controls and clamps off the bars, cleaned all dirt and greasy residue off both clamps and bar and added one layer of heavy duty cloth tape where clamps/controls connect to bar.

Did everything up carefully and evenly, it all seems tight and feels right now.

Thanks for the replies.