Sign in to follow this  

Difficult downshifting when stopped

My 2000 Suzuki DR200 with 2200 miles runs great. My only complaint is with the transmission. It is difficult, and sometimes impossible to downshift once the bike comes to a stop. Usually the only way I can do it is by letting the clutch out slightly, and then it will go into a lower gear. My local Suzuki dealer says this normal for most bikes, but I have difficulty believing that this is how the trans is supposed to work. My earlier Kawasaki 250 never had this problem.

unfortunately it is normal. Different oil may help somewhat for a short time but it's still going to do it in the long run

Not sure about the 200 but on my 650, making sure the clutch pull is adjusted properly and rolling forward or back a couple of inches while fully pulling the clutch lever in, makes dropping into 1st easier.

I'am have a simular problem with my DR350.

See my post "Difficult finding neutral" (10-09-2011) page 2

My 1968 Honda CL350 has to be downshifted one at a time as I approach a stop sign or I will have a great deal of difficulty getting back to first (rocking the bike and slightly letting out the clutch helps). I always thought this was an age/wear issue with the tranny. If the chain is too tight it seems to be even more difficult. My DR350 has no such issues.

I've had this on a couple of dual sports XT225 & DR650, usually it gets easier as you build up more miles on bike, also have had problem with a couple of Harleys too. I now downshift as I come to a stop.Do the roll back and forth a couple of inches while releasing the clutch a little seems to help.