Sign in to follow this  

Timing marks on flywheel and drive gear.

I'm currently trying to get the timing right on the bottom end of my 04 crf250r. While reading the shop guide, it says to turn the motor to TDC and match up the mark on the crank case, and the main drive gear, which is simple enough, but it says that its not very accurate just by looking at it dead on. So then it says to double check, but matching up another mark on the other side of the case with marks on the flywheel. I have a trailtech 29oz flywheel installed and it doesn't have timing marks on it. We lined up the stock flywheel with the trailtech one and measured where the timing marks would be, and marked two little lines on the trailtech flywheel. Now when I turn the crank to get TDC to line up the flywheel marks, the magnet slightly pushes the marks out of alignment. Am I going about this all the wrong way? 👍

i believe the easiest way to get the marks lined up is to shift the bike to 5th and slowly spin the rear tire. A guy in the PHTW thread told me about this and it helped me alot. you wont have to worry about the motor spinning past TDC with a slight tap of the kickstarter anymore.

Using the mark on the flywheel is really tough unless you have the side cover off. Use the mark on the clutch side. There's a dot on the gear and an arrow on the case once you remove the big plug on the side case. There's an allen head bolt you can use to move the crank a little at a time. Using 5th gear to keep in in place is a good idea. I think the biggest mistake most people make is the slack on the timing chain when they remove the tensioner. Once you're pretty confident that you have it in the right place, if you have the tensioner out of the head, put your finger in there and take up the slack by pushing it in. Then you'll know for sure that it's in the right place. If there's any doubt, don't try to kick it. Turn it over by hand.