Sign in to follow this  

Carb cleaning with Pine Sol, link/pics

I found this great little trick from "Frank" at the DOHC Custom Forums.

http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums

He recommended that I use Pine Sol as a 1-3 day soak for the bank of carbs of my 1983 CB1000 Custom.

The goal of the soak was to clean the carbs as a bank with most of their internal parts removed (jets, floats, ect) because seperating the 4 carbs is a pain.

And it's just plain easier to do a soak than to disassemble the bank.

The Pine Sol won't damage rubber/soft parts, is easily washed away and is environmentally friendly.

When you're done your parts will smell fresh too -

So I bought 3 big bottles of Pine Sol (not the generic stuff) and a plastic box big enough to hold the carb bank. You can scale this up or down as needed -

cb1b.JPG

Then I emptied the 3 bottles of Pine SOl into the box and added 1 1/2 bottles of water (this topped the carbs, completely submerging them).

Though you can't see it very well, the stripped carb bank is really nasty between the carbs in this pic -

The I sat them into the vat -

Soaking -

I let them soak overnight and then rinsed the bank off with high pressure water- they looked like new -

A few closeups -

cb1i.JPG

I also soaked the bowls, slides and caps -

I have also used the "vat" to clean many other parts. With it's small size I just move the vat & the small parts up to the sink and then can easily wash the Pine Sol off the parts with warm soapy water (Dawn dish washing soap works best- without the hand lotion).

I do suggest that if you are going to work in the vat with your hands (scrubbing deep grime with a tooth brush for example) that you wear protective gloves as the Pine Sol will strip your skin of all oil, really drying your hands out.

Also, best to keep the vat outside unless you want the house to be overwhelmed by the pine odor.

• Like 1

Toldja. 👍

I can tell you from experience that when you see someone write "try pine sol to clean your carb" you just gotta follow it up with pics. I betcha 99% of the people read right over that. haha

I only found out the link from another motorcycle forum.

as a bike tech i can tell you that this is now my new way of cleaning carbs.. have used B12 CHEMTOOL for years but would much rather use something thats not gonna kill me w/ the fumes......

Used it for years, great stuff inside and outside your house.

The cheap stuff at the dollar store works well most of the time.

Just look to see the percentage of active ingredient - Pine Oil -

the product contains

FWIW that's probably $40 in PineSol, expensive stuff.

That can then be poured down the drain! That's the best part.

No, the largest jug of Pinesol costs about $2.50 at Walmart. Three jugs of Pinesol is about $7.50.

No, the largest jug of Pinesol costs about $2.50 at Walmart. Three jugs of Pinesol is about $7.50.

then you just pour it back in the jugs and save it for the next carbs .

then you just pour it back in the jugs and save it for the next carbs .

Or use it to mop your garage floor.

If anyone trys it on exhaust goo, (pipes,powervalves ect) post up if it works or not.

thanks

I use Permatex spray gasket remover. Cleans spooge right off. Look for the actual spray can version. Permatex came out with a foaming version in a small cheese-type can but it doesn't do crap. You can also try oven cleaner.

That's also 4 carbs... with an old single you would only need half a bottle! 👍

couldnt be that expensive.. could it?