Carb cleaning with Pine Sol, link/pics

I have used Pine-Sol a couple times... Works good, but I always use it straight.

Is there any reason that a mix would work better? Has anyone tried both and found a difference?

What about a little heat? Like on the old BBQ grill for a couple hours on low???

• 2 weeks later...

I filled a bucket with about a 40% Pinesol and water.

I had to add more water to get it to fill over the top of the cylinders.

I have two cylinder heads soaking in it now.

So far it is working, but it made me realize that I could put the parts into a plastic freezer bag, then pour pinesol into the bag. Hopefully, using less Pinesol and not dissolving the bag. Then place it all in a bucket in case of a leak.

I filled a bucket with about a 40% Pinesol and water.

I had to add more water to get it to fill over the top of the cylinders.

I have two cylinder heads soaking in it now.

So far it is working, but it made me realize that I could put the parts into a plastic freezer bag, then pour pinesol into the bag. Hopefully, using less Pinesol and not dissolving the bag. Then place it all in a bucket in case of a leak.

Good idea then all the good stuff doesn't evaporate .

• 3 months later...

My 98 XR100R

train001.jpg

Fresh from storage, carb was filthy.

train008.jpg

train010.jpg

0 hour, near 100 proof, just a touch of water to top up.

train012.jpg

4 hours in the soup...

train014.jpg

8 hours. Rinse, blow and assemble. Never touched it with a rag or any other abrasive. It removed the cheesy rattle can paint, the filth and the basement smells great!

• 2 months later...

1984 Honda ATC200X Keihin PD62B carb: $29.95 + 15.00 shipping (Oh, Canada.) on the 'bay.

ATC200xCarb.jpg

Be thankful this pic is not scratch and sniff. The folks at our local post office were only too glad to hand this package over. Absolutely rank. Slide: Stuck. Float: Stuck. Needle: Stuck. A/F screw; Stuck. Idle screw: Stuck. Ports/jackets: plugged. Jets: packed with crap. 29.95 + 15 = paper weight?

Photo007.jpg

$2.83 of PineSol (we have it at our 'dollar' store $1.25 / 500 mL), 1L margarine container 100% PineSol.

Photo008.jpg

2 hours in:

Photo012.jpg

Slide is free.

Photo013.jpg

4 hours in: Cleaning up nicely.

Edited by theraymondguy

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics...

Photo018.jpg

This carb sat in Pine-Sol for a total of 48 hours while we were on an overnighter. Upon our return, I noted a black tinge on the carb body and all other metal surfaces. It washed away with a little elbow grease and plastic brush, but still you can see a little of it.

I'd probably have to recommend flushing and fresh PineSol every 8 hours.

Photo015.jpg

Photo016.jpg

Photo017.jpg

Over all I'm very pleased. The ports / jackets have opened up; the jets needed a bit of extra effort but they're open as well, the needle / seat are working nicely. The factory finish on the carb takes a bit of a toll.

My garage smells fantastic!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this great product!

Edited by theraymondguy

• 2 months later...

I finally got a chance to try out the Pine Sol. I left them in for 24 hours, not totally impressed, but they cleaned up a little. Mine were pretty rough. After the Pine Sol bath, I rinsed them off, then hit them with Engine Brite, then soda blasted them, and finally a wash with Greased Lightning.

Forgot the before pics but you get the idea:

Z1003.jpg

Pine Sol

IMG_4843.jpg

After all the cleaning, still not 100% yet.

IMG_4845.jpg

I'm really glad to see you guys having a lot of success with this. All too often a person takes the time to give a handy tip and it's completely overlooked.

Not the case here! Many hours and many dollars saved..

Ah. While I'm at it, I highly recommend you get in touch with Z1 Enterprises when you need parts, ask for Chris. They've got great prices. Shipping is kind of slow, but they don't charge you till it ships, so it's not too bad.

Ah. While I'm at it, I highly recommend you get in touch with Z1 Enterprises when you need parts, ask for Chris. They've got great prices. Shipping is kind of slow, but they don't charge you till it ships, so it's not too bad.

Chris is my man. Hooked me up with an unobtainable part a year or so ago. The restoration of the blue bike is a sticky in the vintage street bike forum here on TT.

Edited by Jeekinz

He's been my source for hard to find parts at incredible prices for years. Even hooks me up with parts they don't normally deal with, so long as I have a part number and a manufacturer, there's only been one place to beat their price and it was probably an error (wiseco piston retailed from them: $127, other guy: $106, but it could have been NOS too??) I don't even bother looking at other places, but I happened to be researching and found that place first. The other place has since updated their price to $158.

Best kept motorcycle secret on the East Coast, if not the country.

• 1 month later...

He's been my source for hard to find parts at incredible prices for years. Even hooks me up with parts they don't normally deal with, so long as I have a part number and a manufacturer, there's only been one place to beat their price and it was probably an error (wiseco piston retailed from them: $127, other guy: $106, but it could have been NOS too??) I don't even bother looking at other places, but I happened to be researching and found that place first. The other place has since updated their price to $158.

Best kept motorcycle secret on the East Coast, if not the country.

+1 on Z1. These guys are fantastic, Canadian shipping friendly too. Wear my Z1E t-shirt still today, years after selling my Kaw.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone tried the Pine Sol treatment on the inside of a metal tank?

What are you trying to clean out? If it's rust, you can do a vinegar bath or oxylic acid bath. Just fill the tank up and let it sit overnight. You can put a length of metal chain (or a bunch of nuts and bolts) inside the tank and slosh it around to loosen up the rust. To remove tank liner like Kreem, you need to soak with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) or acetone. I used the MEK along with some chain, sloshed around, then filtered out the MEK and reused it. You can buy it at Lowes in the paint remover section. Oxylic acid is kind of hard to find, I bought mine off Ebay.