Sign in to follow this  

What sealers are you using?

I recently purchased a 2002 DR650SE which had just had a new metal base gasket installed by the PO's dealer. After I got it home and added a few miles I found a serious oil leak at the cam chain tensioner gasket. Oil mist was actually spraying out the joint. Removal revealed that the dealer had not replaced that gasket and in fact a chunk about 3-5mm wide was missing. I replaced that gasket and have solved that issue. Now I find that there's a very minor seepage between the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, I suspect is coming from the cam bore hole plug. The manual indicates using Suzuki Bond on those surfaces around the head and cover. What sealer are you guys using to seal that joint? Also, are you replacing the rubber cam bore plug when you reinstall the cylinder head cover? Thanks.

I recently purchased a 2002 DR650SE which had just had a new metal base gasket installed by the PO's dealer. After I got it home and added a few miles I found a serious oil leak at the cam chain tensioner gasket. Oil mist was actually spraying out the joint. Removal revealed that the dealer had not replaced that gasket and in fact a chunk about 3-5mm wide was missing. I replaced that gasket and have solved that issue. Now I find that there's a very minor seepage between the cylinder head and cylinder head cover, I suspect is coming from the cam bore hole plug. The manual indicates using Suzuki Bond on those surfaces around the head and cover. What sealer are you guys using to seal that joint? Also, are you replacing the rubber cam bore plug when you reinstall the cylinder head cover? Thanks.

Use a heat and oil resistant gasket product like Permatex Ultra Grey sensor safe RTV silicone gasket maker. When I removed and sealed my head cover I didn't replace the cam bore plug, although it's probably a good idea. Be sure the mating surfaces are clean before putting on the gasket cement, I used alcohol to ensure everything was clean and dry.

Get a new plug and use Hondabond (what I used since its the closest dealer), Yamabond, or Suzuki Bond. As far as I know, they are all made by Three Bond (its what KTM specs).

I had the same leaking issues and a new ACCT gasket fixed that issue, and Hondabond fixed the valve cover issue. Some people have had success with the various Permatex and Loc-Tite sealants, but every major manufacturer specs Three Bond (or rebranded version) so that's what I use.

OK gents, thanks for the comments. Now, give me a product number for threebond. I went to their website and they show quite a few products. None of their liquid gasket products are white. I'd sure like to use something that you've found to be successful so help me assure that I'm going to buy the same product. And thanks again.