Sign in to follow this  

Am I getting ready to screw up?

I am trying my first revalve (non Race Tech) on the shock of my RM250. It had previously been revalved by a suspension company in the eastern part of the US.

Here is what I had:

Compression

I am going to this:

44.20 (x9)

My rebound stack came as follows, and I dont have any plans on changing it, but welcome input:

40.20 (x5)

Racing in a week and a half with minimal testing...all input welcome.

what's up with the comp stack? how did that thing handle originally? i bet you had a nasty wallow. who did that type of stack?

what's up with the comp stack?

yep, what's up with the stack

Hard to give an advice without knowing what you like/dislike etc

wiered stack btw

would love to know how it feeled/handled

I am terrible at giving feedback on what suspension is doing. Front and back did not feel balanced, and didnt turn as well as I think a RM should. Mainly I guess I am looking for feedback if the new stack looks like an improvment.

your new stacks are nearly as weird as the originals, where did the new ones come from?

your new stacks are nearly as weird as the originals, where did the new ones come from?

A modification of a race tech stack I used long ago. Can you tell me why it is weird? Because it is a 3 stage, or the gap in HS shim sizes. I am riding in GNCC style hare scrambles, and was looking for a little more LS while still having the suspension move on HS hits. While bouncing on the pegs using the old stack, back end felt like it dropped more than the front (opposite of stink bug I think).

what's up with the comp stack? how did that thing handle originally? i bet you had a nasty wallow. who did that type of stack?

Dont think it is fair for me to give out the name of who did this stack. I am not sure of what the original owner asked the tuner to do.

it's a pa stack I suspect ? I don't think the stacks ever touch on it , it's actually a single stage with lots of shims hanging in the oil , the only damping the outer edges are providing is if the oil struggles to rush past them , ie turbulence

your stack is hard to ccompare to any conventional Showa as most showas use a 2 stage , without a shim program I don't see how anyone could guess at how it will work ?

yeah, I agree the stack does look different/weird. I ran into this myself years ago when I bought a spare shock. Only 1 face shim on the comp. But the

rebound was a normal looking stack. I wonder if this is hybird of Rg3 and someone else. lol!

Anyway, like mog says your new rebound and comp. look a little different than conventional.

I checked and ran a very similar stack in a 04 rm 125 but I clamped on a 18 and had less hs so it was much softer than yours ?is this for mx , your weight and springs and year of bike , I think that's going to be very stiff on comp

like mog says your new rebound and comp. look a little different than conventional.

The comp is mine, the rebound is still the old one designed by the original tuner. MOG; I have heard you say how much you like a particular RMz rebound stack, which one, and what year? Also, what else would you guys do to change my weird compression stack.

I checked and ran a very similar stack in a 04 rm 125 but I clamped on a 18 and had less hs so it was much softer than yours ?is this for mx , your weight and springs and year of bike , I think that's going to be very stiff on comp

Are you talking a similar stack to the original weird stack, or my modified racetech weird stack? The shock is for off road/ hare scramble racing in the b class. My weight is 225lbs with gear, 2008 RM250 two stroke, 5.5 rear spring, and .45 springs in front. Do you think I should decrease the number of face shims? Increase the High speed stack?

Please help. I cannot find the 08 RM stock stacks anywhere to get a good baseline starting point. The stack posted is my best attempt at fixing the stack I was given in the shock. What can I change to make it more convential for off road?

Any help appreciated...THANKS FOR ALL PREVIOUS POSTS!!!

stk

4 - 44.25

20.3 b

2 - 30.3

shock reb

stk

2 - 40.2

24.3 b

rmz 2009

try something more like this

(4)44.2

(2)42.15

this will be stiffer than your original stack but softer than the stack that you wanted to try. You want to keep a taper going down once you start the taper. Your original stack goes up to a 38 more than halfway down the stack. The only time you want to go up in size is early in the stack when a crossover is used. The stack I listed will be mushy for mx but should be a good base for trails

Dont think it is fair for me to give out the name of who did this stack. I am not sure of what the original owner asked the tuner to do.

it's like a three-stage race tech stack on crack! then, i've even seen a reverse-taper below the clamp shim, to act as a shim stopper for large hits.

it don't get anymore far-out than that! well maybe it does.👍

sorry don't remember the rmz comment but you want at least 6 face shims instead of the 2 you see on the STD rebound stack