Sign in to follow this  

Gravel Roads, Fire Roads and some jeep trails

I am getting rid of my Valkyrie to explore the back roads. I have owned XR250 and XR350, XT500 and Ossa trials bike. I need a street legal, dependable dual purpose to run the back roads (mostly gravel of eastern Montana).

I like the XR650L alot because of the air cooled simplicity and Honda durability. I get confused by the comparison to the XR650R with a Baja Designs kit. I get the impression the horse race is not fair and it boils down to what I will be using it for.

I can get on a gravel road within 2 miles of my house and ride across the state without touching pavement again unless I need to get back quicker. I expect 70%/80% this kind of riding with 20%/30% pavement.

I also would ride some Jeep trails around Yellowstone Park at very slow speeds at 8000 ft elevation.

6'2" 200 lbs 34 inseam.

What do you think works best?

I have found a low mileage 650R and several 650L's I can pick up.

do you take passengers? do you want to haul a lot of gear? do you want to not worry about radiators? XR650L

do you want loads and loads of power? XR650R

either bike will go forever. sounds like the XR650L is what you want. look up spud on here, he is in Idaho

Thanks, I ended up with a 650L and love it. Plenty of power for me, simple enough. Found a used one and making it mine.