Sign in to follow this  

Top end noise?

Hello: The top end noise problem with my friends 2002 Z400 quad is hard to figure out. We put a new timing chain in back in the summer but now its making a similar metallic rattle sound again. But this time its right after startup and goes away, then comes back at randum. Intemittent. The camchain adjuster is fine. The chain is not stretched out again. The cam timing is fine. No metal particles anywhere. Valve clearance good. The auto decompressor pins are still intact. The tiny spring is doing its job. The only thing I don`t know about is the whole aparatus seems to be a little loose. You can spread out the 2 main plates of the decompressor a bit using a small screwdriver. Also we have not pulled the stator cover to check the flywheel bolts yet. Maybe the sound is coming from that area, its hard to tell. Would you guys recommend checking the flywheel and stator bolts next? Then after that, cutting the decompressor off the ex cam? Thanks, Robert W

PS I ride an 03 KLX400 and its never had such problems (except for the new cam chain and manual chain adjuster installed)

Would you guys recommend checking the flywheel and stator bolts next?

Yes, always, on every DRZ or LTZ.

Then after that, cutting the decompressor off the ex cam?

Yes on every DRZ or LTZ.

When tuned right, and a proper battery is installed, Free Power MOD done, grounds in place and clean.. It will have no issues in starting.