Sign in to follow this  

Running 2 stroke engine with slightly worn crank bearing?

I got a 1981 TS250ER a couple of weeks ago. I took it for a run and somehow air got into the oil feed to the bottom end and so now the flywheel side has a very small amount of play in it. From a certain RPM up there is a vibration noise. Performance is still fine and there is an oil feed to it now working normally.

I have an enduro coming up and have no time for a rebuild before it, as it needs a rebuild I will by no means be racing, just tootling along and taking it easy. The race is only for 2 hours split into 2 1 hour sessions. Would it be safe to ride it like this? I don't really want to lose my entry money but certainly don't want a major problem caused from running. Thanks very much

Wear will be greatly increased by.....excessive clearance.

My advise is...... fix it before you really screw the motor up when it blows.....and it will......taking out the crank, cylinder, head, piston and cases.

Weren't those Suzuki's pretty common in the UK? Find one at a breaker and buy the motor, slap it in and then you can rebuild the other one in your spare time.

so.......did you run it? Did it blow?

I doubt it. My GasGas has a loose flywheel-side crank bearing and I've been running it for over a year. I've been waiting for it to blow up, or even get a little worse, but it hasn't.

JayC

I would think that prolonged running will gall the crank bushing in the case, costly one way or the other.

are you sure the flywheel didn't have play in it before the oil line had air? I mean the bearings was probably never completely starved of oil. Suzuki should have a spec for the runout on that side, might check that and see how far you are. If it's out enough to cause vibration I wouldn't run it. Burn some midnight oil and get a new bearing in there before your race.