Sign in to follow this  

Excessive Play in Powertrain

My 2000 Suzuki DR200 has an annoying amount of play in the powertrain. It is especially noticeable when riding at slow speeds in the lower gears, causing an abrupt jerking whenever you change from accelerating to decelerating, or vice versa. It actually makes it difficult to control the bike in dirt riding situations where you are often throttling up and down. If I put the bike in gear with the engine off, I notice that it will move freely forward or backward about six inches or so without any movement of the engine. There is a minimal amount of play in the chain, so the play must exist in the transmission, or in the engine's connection to the the transmission? The Suzuki dealer seemed to think that this is normal, or maybe they just didn't want to bother with it. What could be causing this, and how can it be corrected?

Take off the chain and put it gear and grab the countershaft sprocket and see how much it moves forward and back. There should be some movement but not much. I'd tighten up the chain first because it's likely your problem. A inch or two is normal movement back and forth because of chain slack. A chain doesn't have to be very loose to cause your symtoms.

• Like 1