Sign in to follow this  

FCR Float bowl gasket

I have been reading all of the "issues with carb" thread recently, so the carb on my 400E has decided to join in the fun!

Went for a short ride yesterday evening & found petrol pouring out of the float bowl.

I have stripped the bowl off & although the gasket ( the O ring type) looks in good condition, it wont seal. So I have ordered a new one ( 10 working days for delivery & £23! but thats another story)👍

In anticipation of the new gasket arriving, are they fitted without any lube or sealant applied?

The old one seemed to have some sort of RTV on it, but it may have just been old age

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Browning
spalling

From the oem, there is just a bit of gasket adhesive used, but my belief is, it's an assembly aid only.. And only needed on a mass produced Time is money deal.. I have NEVER used any adhesive when replacing one. .. and more than needed will cause more harm than good.

IF you decide to use some adhesive, apply with a toothpick, and just enough in the corners to coat the underside of the packing.

I have been reading all of the "issues with carb" thread recently, so the carb on my 400E has decided to join in the fun!

Went for a short ride yesterday evening & found petrol pouring out of the float bowl.

I have stripped the bowl off & although the gasket ( the O ring type) looks in good condition, it wont seal. So I have ordered a new one ( 10 working days for delivery & £23! but thats another story)👍

In anticipation of the new gasket arriving, are they fitted without any lube or sealant applied?

The old one seemed to have some sort of RTV on it, but it may have just been old age

Cheers

Steve

In future, you can always shop around to the different OEMs for the same parts. In Canada, I have found that in order of reasonable pricing it goes something like this Honda (best) > Suzuki > KTM > Yamaha (worst). Never tried Kawi.

Thank you Mr Marquez for the quick reply.

I will follow you advice & not apply any gasket sealer, I couldn't be sure wether the small amount cleaned off was crud build up or sealer.

Thanks again

Steve

98-99 YZf

3TJ-14984-40-00 >> GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR

1998 Yamaha YZ400F CARBURETOR >> GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR View

1998 Yamaha WR400 CARBURETOR >> GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR View

1999 Yamaha YZ400F CARBURETOR >> GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR View

1999 Yamaha WR400 CARBURETOR >> GASKET,FLOAT CHMBR

Kawasaki » 2003 non CA KLX400R

11061-S092 GASKET

• Like 1

Cheers, just phoned the dealer & again, not in stock with an estimated delivery of 28th Oct!

I'm guessing that this isnt a commonly replaced item?

Strange really, as I would imagine swapping jets & carb maint was fairly routine & replacing the gasket would be part of the work.

Oh well, looks like no fun in the mud this weekend.

Not for common consumption. Try this at home and you will ruin your carb, cause global cooling, and sprout massive hair growth from your ears.. You have been warned.

And if you’re not comfortable doing this procedure, then don’t.

The mating surface of both the bowl and the carb body, you will see it’s a rough casting.

I have done this many times…successfully …. Using a Piece of 800 grit wet / dry sand paper, wetted with a bit of light lube, kerosene, WD 40, Auto trans fluid, , old shock or fork fluid…, on a flat surface, .. Glass, surface block, machinist step or block.. Something flat is the key.

You can lightly, clean up the rough casting surfaces; this will allow the two parts to mate closer together, compressing the rubber o-ring a little more, and most often sealing. It’s a band aid, if the o-ring is old and dry, it will start leaking again… but I’ve fixed dozens this way on weekend rides, late night Saturday day fixes for Sunday rides.

If I were wearing a hat I would take it off to you!

Sir, you are a genius.

I have carefully smoothed the faces on a marking out table & I have cleaned the o ring up, as best I can, although it is definitley very worn. I have put on a light coating of silicon grease that I use for lubing o rings for my diving gear & rebuilt.

There is a slight wetness on the one corner, but otherwise I'm good to go!

Looks like you have saved my weekend.

Also, my wife has said to pass on her thanks, as she didn't really want me to paint our bedroom, & feels my time would be better spent " arseing around on my smelly motorbike, with the other overgrown idiots that should start acting our ages"

Thanks again from me though, you have been a great help.

• Like 2

my wife has said to pass on her thanks, as she didn't really want me to paint our bedroom, & feels my time would be better spent " arseing around on my smelly motorbike, with the other overgrown idiots that should start acting our ages"

Congratulations, you win +1 internet

• Like 1

Also, my wife has said to pass on her thanks, as she didn't really want me to paint our bedroom, & feels my time would be better spent " arseing around on my smelly motorbike, with the other overgrown idiots that should start acting our ages"

Thanks again from me though, you have been a great help.

happy wife, happy life:smirk: