Sign in to follow this  

What is a 2003 yamaha r1 worth

All stock except for exhaust, has 34000 miles. The guy is asking $3000. Wondering what you guys think based on the high miles?

that about right maybe do some haggling down to 2500ish . miles are not too important focus on the condition of the over all bike to get a good idea on how it was taken care of. chain, sprocket , maintenance records, ect

It depends. A well worn track hack with 34k is probably garbage, whereas a nice clean streeter that's been adult owned is probably a nice bike. But like ekulb14 said, it's all about maintenance and condition. Check the chain and sprox, listen for any funny noises (all R1's have a "tick" but anything beyond that can be bad), check the steering stem bearings for play or clicking (R1's get wheelied, so look for slop here), and take a look at the steering stops (to make sure it hasn't been crashed).

If you can take it for a ride, pay extra close attention to 2nd gear jumping out into neutral. Later R1's are much better than earlier ones, but '03s can still suffer from it.

A clean example can be a very strong and reliable bike.

If someone offered me $3000 for my 2003 R1 with 22k miles I would laugh at them and walk away. However it's very clean, well maintained, never had a problem with it, never has been stunted, has seen about 6 track days but most miles are just cruising with some playing in the turns. Also it has some nice clean aftermarket goodies.

I have been thinking of selling it, I plan to ask $5500

2003 R1 NADA Suggested List Base Price $10,299

Low Retail///////////Average Retail

$3,815 /////////////$5,020

Options: (add options)

Exhaust-High Performance (Street)

$130////////////////$171

See all options chosen

TOTAL PRICE

$3,945//////////////$5,191

Keep in mind these are AVERGE numbers. A bike can be worth considerably more or less depending on cosmetic damage and maintenance. Obviously, if a buyer and seller won't always see eye to eye on value.

If someone offered me $3000 for my 2003 R1 with 22k miles I would laugh at them and walk away. However it's very clean, well maintained, never had a problem with it, never has been stunted, has seen about 6 track days but most miles are just cruising with some playing in the turns. Also it has some nice clean aftermarket goodies.

I have been thinking of selling it, I plan to ask $5500

Please let me know what dumb ass you find to give you any where close to 5k for your 03 R1 so i can con the hell outta them too!

To the op as far as a 2003 R1 in good to excellent shape goes.... $2500 to 3k MAX if it's in prestine condition!

And just a heads up you can buy 07/08 R1's all day long for 5500 - 6k

^^ this guy is right and by the way NADA and KBB means nothing!! Something is only worth what you can get for it. why would i buy an 03 of anywhere near 5grand my good buddie just bought an 08 with 8,000 miles for 6 grand yes it was a good deal and i know the seller.. bike had never seen a track and had nothing wrong with it. Deals are out there and you can try to sell ur 03 for that.. just dont make any plans for what you think you can buy for 5000 not meaning to be an ass but that is simply an outragous price.

2003 R1 NADA Suggested List Base Price $10,299

Low Retail///////////Average Retail

$3,815 /////////////$5,020

Options: (add options)

Exhaust-High Performance (Street)

$130////////////////$171

See all options chosen

TOTAL PRICE

$3,945//////////////$5,191

Keep in mind these are AVERGE numbers. A bike can be worth considerably more or less depending on cosmetic damage and maintenance. Obviously, if a buyer and seller won't always see eye to eye on value.

You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT thing to add in for figuring the final price! That would be ECONOMY and how many used bikes are flooding the "for sale" market right now! Like already said, an 03 R1 can be EASILY bought for 3k or less.

If you're willing to spend 5k you need to be looking for a 07/08 R1. There are PLENTY of them out there if you'll just look! Good Luck