Sign in to follow this  

1997 cr250......for free??

A friend wants to give me her dad's 97 cr250r. Even for free is this a decent bike? Probably just trail ride it but it needs some TLC. Not sure if I even wanna put money into it. I currently own an 07 crf450r, and an 06 crf250r. I used to own a 2001 cr250r(ya I know, kicking myself for selling it).

Please give me some feedback on the pros and cons of this bike(and not two t vs. Four t please). Also, what u guys may have done to improve this bike.

Thanks, alan.

Put $1,000 into this bike means less hours on your CRFs. This will lengthen their lifespan for you.

If you miss your 2001 then you should get this. You could use it as a buddy bike too. Or a dunes bike. What other fun things could you get for $1,000? Very few that are lasting anyway. 👍

97's were a bad year and not worth owning. Get it, and I'll do you a favor by driving to CA to take it off your hands... 👍

In all seriousness it wouldn't be right to take it from a friend then turn around and make money on selling it. Either help her sell it or if I were you I'd pick it up and ride it you'll probably like it a lot. I think the motors were great power wise and the bike itself is typical Honda reliable. However for me to own one and ride it on trails I would start with a good tune up and move to the suspension. Spend the money for a reputable shop to upgrade/tune it for your weight and needs. The first gen AF frames are brutal for my tastes but good suspension work will take most of the harshness out.

Bottom line for me: I would love a 97 every day of the week (especially for free :ride:) with a little suspension tuning. It will probably "feel" very similar to the 01 you had. Hope this helps.

I had one for 4 years befor my 02. It is a great bike, fun to ride and reliable. Just not quite as fun to ride as my 02.

the 97 was the first Gen of the aluminum frame. It's design made the suspension feel really harsh and unforgiving. It would have a great motor in it. The 97 is recognized as probably the worst year of cr250 but a lot of folks love the motor for trail riding. I guess it will be up to you if you want to take a free bike and put some money into it to make it rideable. If it were me, I think I would have a hard time turning down a free bike.

I loved my '97 CR250R for the 2 years I had it, even though it had its weaknesses (spoken of in previous replies).

If I were to buy another one, the first mod I would do after making sure everything was in sound working order would be to replace the seat foam. The seat is an insult to the normal human butt.

Well if I fixed it up and sold it, I would give the money to her. But both my four strokes are setup for mx only so having a two stroke trail bike would be nice. I'll probably end up revalving the suspension myself as well as replace the bearings. Someone mentioned rubber mounted handle bars....so can I assume the triple clamps have solid mount handlebars????

Maybe the money I save on doing the suspension myself will afford me some flexx bars:banana:

My first bike ever was a 2006 crf250x and she wants to give me one of those too lol. I love the sound and smell of a two stroke though, I actually only got to ride my 01 a handful of times before someone made me a ridiculous offer on it(believe it or not it only had 10 hours on it and was on display in an ex AMA pros living room for 10 years before I picked it up for $1000!!!!).

I'll keep u guys posted with pics and a build up.....

i wanna find a lady who gives me free bikes!

Me too. I'd even take a bike or two WITH strings attached. 👍

Well hold on guys.....it gets better....

Gonna take over her ex's 06 crf250x and the 05 zx-6rr she bought for him too. What a douche this dude was. Nener Nener Nener ha ha ha

Well hold on guys.....it gets better....

Gonna take over her ex's 06 crf250x and the 05 zx-6rr she bought for him too. What a douche this dude was. Nener Nener Nener ha ha ha

Wow, not bad. How'd you "handle" that deal?