Sign in to follow this  

Which Damper

Sorry yet another Damper question.

So I was pretty set on buying a Scotts unit but the more saw pro racers bikes the more i notticed GPR set ups (probably sponser related).

I know the Cons and Pros of both..what i want to konw is which is better for Woods/enduro/cross country racing?

Also i have a KTM so i have about 4 differnt bar positions..will i be only limited to one position once i mount ether unit?

GPR and Scotts are both top quality and share the same mounting dimensions. Ohlins makes Scotts dampers (as well as their own, self branded damper which I find ugly) and I think GPR makes their own. Scotts has an extra circuit for high speed damping which is adjustable, as well as adjustable sweep ratios which is the main difference between the two. Both can be used in different positions by swapping in a different length arm, kind of a PITA unless you have the little puller they sell for that purpose. The arms are pretty cheap though.

I happen to think the Scotts is a superior product based on reviews and the above advantages, as well as the customer service they provide. Never had a GPR, Fastway or one of the others; no reason to.

GPR and Scotts are both top quality and share the same mounting dimensions. Ohlins makes Scotts dampers (as well as their own, self branded damper which I find ugly) and I think GPR makes their own. Scotts has an extra circuit for high speed damping which is adjustable, as well as adjustable sweep ratios which is the main difference between the two. Both can be used in different positions by swapping in a different length arm, kind of a PITA unless you have the little puller they sell for that purpose. The arms are pretty cheap though.

I happen to think the Scotts is a superior product based on reviews and the above advantages, as well as the customer service they provide. Never had a GPR, Fastway or one of the others; no reason to.

While I can not speak for any other brand, the handlebar position is not adjustable by changing the arms on our damper. The barclamp provided with the damper kit will center the damper over the steering stem so the damper turns at the same radius as the bars. If you change bar positions and try to use a different length arm then the damper will not be centered and will bottom your turning out before your steering stops hit, amongst other issues as well. We recommend having your bar position figured out before buying the damper or use the Fastway FIT damper mount system which will allow you to change the damper location accordingly.

Edited by Eric@ScottsPerformance
cant type well i guess! :)

Ah, I forgot they needed to be centered over the stem! I was thinking the link arm let you move the damper forward or back with bar position, but that's for fitment on different bikes. Seems I had this explained to me a couple of years ago when buying my current Scotts setup.

The WER damper mounts off of the bottom triple clamp and doesn't interfere with bar position.