Need Advice CRF50

I am going to look at a 2007 CRF 50 this weekend for my 6 year old daughter. What are the most important things to check on a used bike. I know the obvious(leaking oil, smoking etc.) Unfamiliar with auto clutch and 50's. Please give me some advice!!!!

We've had 3 of those bikes over the years. Those little bikes are like miniature tanks...find out who rode it the most (the bigger, the harder they were on it) & how many aftermarket parts have been applied (the more is not always the best...means it's been rode hard). If it looks close to the OEM set up, doesn't smoke, oil & air filter looks like it been changed often, starts easily...then you've probably found a good ride for your daughter. Enjoy your find!?:ride:

Make sure you check the swingarm pivot (there are no bearings) and the steering head bearings. The steering head bearings are just cheap rollers and aren't exactly robust. If either of those came loose, the frame will get wallowed out. If they are loose, I would walk away, unless you have a welder and machine shop at your disposal and it's priced really low. If the swingarm isn't loose, I would ask if it has ever come loose. While the engine and transmissions are pretty stout, the frames are made cheaply.

Check for a blown out shock and cracks on the swingarm where the shock is bolted.

Also, if it doesn't smoke, it could be because there's no oil in the engine, so check the engine oil level to make sure the right amount is in there. Seems obvious, but it's easy to overlook. Don't assume that everyone else (even mechanics) are like you and maintain their bikes properly. Don't ask how I know this.

If the kids who rode the bike were 13 years old, that's not good. These little bikes just aren't built well enough to take much abuse.

Remember that you will have to pay tax, title transfer and registration on this bike, which could add $100 - $200 to the price. In my area, people were asking almost new prices or more on 50's that were 3-4 years old. Rather than try to save $100 or $200, I just bought new to avoid the risk. I still can't believer people were asking more for their used bike than I paid for a new one out the door.

Just be careful. If you don't get a good feeling, pass on the bike. Another one will come along. If the bike needs any major repairs, it's easy to spend a lot of money trying to make it right.

Thanks for the tips!!! How do you check the steering head bearings and swingarm pivot? I have seen pics of this bike and had the owner send me a video of it running. The last one I looked at would not crank. I am driving 4 hours to look at this one tomorrow. It looks like it is in excellent condition from pics. sounds and runs good from video. He is asking 600 for this 2007 crf50. I hope I am not disappointed, but have walked away from bikes before. Thanks!!!!

To check the steering head bearings, put the bike up on a stand to get both wheels off the ground. Push and pull on the upper fork legs and see if there's any movement. If you push and pull on the lower fork legs, you may feel some slop just due to the design of the forks. They use plastic bushings inside. Again, the motors are good but the frames are cheap.

The way I found a loose swingarm pivot was on accident. I was pushing and pulling on the chain and noticed the swingarm move. You can also push and pull on the tire from the side while holding the bike with your other hand and check for movement. You might find bad wheel bearings this way, too. If the bolt had been loose and then tightened, the only way to know if the frame was wallowed out would be to remove the pivot bolt and inspect.