Sign in to follow this  

1984 xr500 wiring question.

I have a couple questions on the wiring harness on my 84 xr5.

All of the diagrams i can find online show two wires coming out of the alternator. A black with red, which goes to the cdi, and a black with blue, that appears to Y off. One side to the regulator, and the other to power the headlight, and tail light.

There are three wires coming out of my alternator. The black w/ blue, black w/ red, AND a white one.

What does the white wire power, and also how does the regulator regulate power if it is just getting a power lead, and ground? Does it regulate through the ground?

When I got the bike it had no regulator, but had a head light tail light, and 4 turn signals. I got it to run as it was, but never bothered to hook up the lights.

I am a bit stumped, as this third wire from the alternator is throwing me off.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a slightly odd wiring setup..well the white does anyway. Could be more like one of our early 83-85/87 XR500/600s wiring. ,,the 5s/6's down here came with indis/lights/horn but no battery,,everything ran from the Stator..Here is the best diagram I've come across for a 5/6 with indicators and a three wire stator..The colours are not the same as you have however,, no wiring diagram I have has a white directly from the Stator..I also don't think the following is dead accurate and I have no idea how reg/recs work as I can't get my lighting/indis/horn working even though it's wired up almost exactly like the diagram except for the addition of another regulator besides the one in the jpg.. At the moment it still has me beaten,,just a matter of time till I get it right. Have I mentioned ,,

"I hate wiring"..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/bestxr600.jpg/

Save the image as whatever you like for future use..Store it in your XR database,,then you have it forever,,Open it with Firefox or IE for a closer in look...

Edited by Horri

Thanks for the reply guys. Ricky I was actually on your website before i posted this thread to see if i could figure something out.

Could you explain floated ground a bit more. I am kind of assuming that everything that gets grounded goes to the white wire instead of the frame.

If that is the case, I had the bike running a while ago with everything grounded to the frame, and the white wire connected to nothing.

I pulled the case cover off and snapped some pics if this helps any.

P1010214.jpg

P1010216.jpg

I bought it as an incomplete bike, and building a street tracker style bike out of it. My goal with it is to get it running with a working headlight and tail/brake light.

Jun_05_001.jpg

The top one is the correct diagram for my bike. I guess what im asking is should I just ignore the white wire, as it ran with it disconnected? And just run the lights off of the Black/Blue wire coming off of the alternator?

Ugh, wiring makes me feel like an idiot. 👍

Oh and my multimeter got stolen, so that also makes it a bit difficult to diagnose things.

If anyone knows Ricky should..I'll just say the wire colours could get mighty confusing if someone removed the cloth type outer sheathing from the outside of the ones coming out of the Stator,,I was inspecting the wiring I'm trying to sort out on my bike/Stator yesterday (XL/XR600 hybrid) Y,,Y/W,,P,,R/B and beneath the outer sheathing they are all white..Confusion can reign..