Sign in to follow this  

Sorry another which bike question . . .

Here is my story. Age 44. 5 ft 11 and shrinking - no fun getting old. Started back after 25 years of no riding with a big heavy 04 WR 450. Then went to a very tricked out KDX 220. (RB mods and KXF fork conversion). I done a lot of poker runs, a few GP races, went to Shane Watts riding school last year.

I am a pretty good C rider, maybe even a bad B rider on a good day. Ride in the tight, wet, rutty, root filled NW Oregon. I will ride a lot in the next 5 years but I doubt any real racing. I weigh too much - around 210 or so.

Also thought that 250 or 300 W with e start would be the perfect bike for me. E start would be nice to occassionally use when wiping out on a hill climb to quickly restart. Yes, I have read about all the problems with the starter so not certain if this is good factor to consider. The 300 probably suits my riding somewhat better because when traction is bad I tend to want to lug the bike around more like a 4 stroke. But I have heard that 250 with less gyro effect feels a little lighter when turning.

Then I think about the 200 mountain bike KTM. No estart but light.

Here is my dilema found both nice bikes on Craigslist. Both 2008 models both Ws. Both around 3500. The 200 has less miles. The 250 has 1800 miles on it. Was used for desert riding.

So with the price the same, which bike to get. 200 lighter package and no estart or 250 with estart, higher mileage but heavier. Honestly, I know I would be happier with either but I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks for your time, Steve

i love the 200. but for you it sounds like the 250 would be better because it has the e-start and a bit more torque down low to lug around.

Thanks. I would appreciate anyone's opinion if they have rode both bikes in tight stuff? How much heavier is the 250 vs the 200? That is one thing I dont like about my KDX. Its stable but very heavy.

Thanks. I would appreciate anyone's opinion if they have rode both bikes in tight stuff? How much heavier is the 250 vs the 200? That is one thing I dont like about my KDX. Its stable but very heavy.

Tough call Steve. Is it possible for you to get a ride on either?

Physical weight difference is going to be less than riding weight difference, and what I mean by that is that there may be only 10 lbs difference in actual weight, but due to the physics of the engine, where the weight is located, the 200 is going to feel much lighter on the trail.

I, like you, are in my 40's (42), 210 lbs without gear, bad knees, occasionally my back bothers me, so I want the lightest package I can get with enough power to get the job done. For me, that is the 200. Compared to my 05 200, this 08 is much easier to move around on the trail, whether it is picking the rear up out of a rut, or just picking it up off the trail. I appreciate that. I went on this quest quite some time back when I wrenched my back trying to pick up my WR250F during a race, on a rain slick clay hillclimb.

I also like a bike that I feel won't bite me if I make a mistake or grab too much throttle. I have found that I can ride my 200's casually if needed or I can wring their neck without worry. Really makes me feel young riding the 200 aggressively. I simply don't have the skills to ride a 250 or 300 that way in the trees. And, I don't need all that power in the woods. Now, the woods out there may be completely different. Higher elevations and long big hills may lean you toward a 250.

If you like the power of the 450 and just want a lighter 2 stroke, the 250 may be a better fit. If that doesn't concern you and you want a bike that will take you back to your youth, then the 200 may suit you.

Personally, for me there was more for me to learn on a lighter less powerful bike. I have gotten much better on the 200 than I have on any other bike. It lets me concentrate on the task at hand, not throttle control, the rear breaking traction, etc. I have never had the desire to have 450 type power, it skeers me. lol 👍 I came from mtn biking so my riding style carries over.

With all this, you still need to get a ride on them if possible. Maybe there is someone on the forum that will let you take a spin on their bike.

Which models are they? I know the 250 is a W if it has the Estart for 08. Is the 200 an XC or W?

There are some physical differences you need to consider as well.

the other thing, if you feel the KDX's have enough for you, the 200 will make you grin from ear to ear. 209 lbs for the 08 is pretty dern spot on and they have plenty of giddyup!

I would go with the 200. The re-sale value is better on the 200 IMHO in the northwest and you can get most of your money back if you want to switch to the 250. You need to come out and race a bit;) The 40 Am class is a ton of fun and you will have the chance to ride a 250 as you get to know people.

Joe...........

If you can get up to North Washington you can try my 300 in the nasty, gnarlies at Walker Valley. :worthy:

I'm like you, shrinking vertically but growing horizontally 👍 pushing 240 without gear. I was in your shoes about this time last year, trying to decide between the 200, 250 or 300. I got the 300, one thing that swayed me to the 300 was the weight, the 250 and 300 are virtually the same bike, just a different sized jug / piston so figured if they weighed the same, may as well go for the bigger power plant.

I rode all 3 of the bikes, the 200 just didn't fit me, having to stay higher in the power band and a lot of clutch work just didn't appeal to me, I like the instant power of the 300 and the fact that I can damn near stall it, roll on the power and enjoy pucker factor 9 at warp speed :ride:

If you can get up this way, let me know I can probably round up a 200 and 250 for you to try as well.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the comments. Maybe i just need to convince the wife that i need both bikes. LOL. I will think more and try to figure out a way to ride both.

What year are they?

I had an '08 250XC in Florida for the deep sand, but here in NC found it too much, couldn't use all the power, traded it for an '08 200XC. I find I can ride a little harder longer now, and it's easier to move the bike around in the air to avoid rocks & such upon landing, as well as easier to change lines on tight single track. We ride steep, technical mountain trails BTW, 49 YO 200 pounder here. Plenty of torque to go anywhere the 250 would, less likelihood of getting pitched when on the pipe.

Both 08 Ws. With my age and riding abilities leaning towards 200. Its only a few times on a long hill climb with my modded kdx that i wish i had more power. Thanks.

I've got to figure that a stock 200 KTM would make more power than the modded KDX. Stock vs. stock the KTM is way more powerful. Not knocking the KDX as they are great machines and plenty of folks can go real fast on them. The KTM is a thoroughbred racer at heart though.

It sounds like the 250 is closer to what you described you would like.

Either one is going to feel substantially lighter and better handling then the KDX, so you can't go wrong with either one.

If I could only convince the wife that I "need" both. She would probably let me but then I would be sleeping in the garage on my bikes. LOL

If I could only convince the wife that I "need" both. She would probably let me but then I would be sleeping in the garage on my bikes. LOL

And this is a bad thing????? 👍

Hey Steve,

Long time no talk!

I have had them all and I would say that the 300 is most "KDX-like", especially with the RB mods you have done. You know my KDX was set up very similar to yours. If you are looking for the easiest bike to ride in terms of smooth power delivery and being lazy, the 300 is hard to beat IMO. I had a 300MXC and now a Gasgas 300 and they are very easy to ride. The 300's do feel heavier and not as nimble as a 200.

But, I am going back to a 200! I bought my son a Gasgas200 and I am having a blast on that bike! Between the trees they are just so light and fun. The light weight and quick power delivery just puts a smile on my face. You can ride the KTM200 off the pipe without issue, and it likes to ride a gear high. Lugging is not an issue, but it is a quicker delivery than your KDX, but not by much since you had the RB mods.

BTW, with your KDX set up the way it is, you aren't really giving up too much. The KTM's like to be ridden more aggresively than the KDX.

I am a slow B rider and do about 2 events a year with mosty trail riding. For me, I am not as interested in really tough, nasty terrain like I was a couple of years ago. For brutal terrain, the 300 makes life easy. I am mostly riding twisty between the trees stuff now and I think the 200 is better for that terrain.

BTW, I have also owned a Gasgas 250 and KTM 250MXC and they are great bikes as well, but feel nearly as heavy as the 300, so why not just have a 300?

Good luck Steve and you really can't go wrong.

Edited by firffighter