Sign in to follow this  

I got a 350!!! Wish me luck ;)

I have always been intrigued by the 350. Ever since KTM announced the bike, then during the first outdoor a few years ago when Alessi got the holeshot and won the second race....pretty cool ride.

My wife hates KTM's! I should say used to hate them. She had a good reason. I had a 2008 XC-F that I loved.....it didn't love me.....motor quit! I was upset, wife was pissed. So, I was gun shy about getting another KTM....especially the 350(you may have heard its had a few issues 👍) She does like the 350, thinks it looks good.

I have had a few bikes since the last KTM....a 2008 KLX450 and most recently a 2005 RM250 2 stroke. The KLX is a bit heavy but fun and the RM is such a sweet cornerer....turns on a dime and give a nickel change :ride:, but it was time for something new. But what to get?

I liked the lightness of the 2 stroke, and my buddy got a 2011 KTM 300xc about 8 months ago, so I have some time on that bike...great bike BTW. I told myself I would wait to see the 2012's.....

I got the itch for a new bike. I told myself I would wait until 2012 to get a bike. So I waited, read some magazines, waited, read some magazines......I couldn't wait!

I saw a post on FTR about a guy buying a 2011 350sx for a nice price. I pm'ed him, he told me where and who. So I bought a 2011 350sx :ride:

Bought it at Highland Park, its in Georgia, a great place to ride.....great!!! Look it up, definitely worth the trip! I had heard good things about the place from some buddies who got to go while I was on a cruise and couldn't go! 👍

Now, some of you may be thinking why did this guy not support his local dealers. Its a good question. I did try to support them, but they have zero bikes. My initial goal was to get a 2012 350xcf or 350 xcw or 450xcw(read the reviews, got pumped). They had none, nor could they tell me when they were getting them.

One dealer was honest, said maybe end of the month. He is a good dealer.....I also bought 3, yes 3 quads from him 6 months ago(for wife and kids, Yamaha raptor 125's and a 250) he would have got my business again.

I was impatient. I couldn't wait a month or possibly longer. I had the wife's ok, that could change at any time...women do that! That's then I saw the post on FTR about Highland Park.

It wasn't price that made me go to Highland Park....more a sense of the adventure! As mentioned, I had heard great things about the place, so I wanted to go there, they had the bike in stock(immediate gratification :ride:) I got to miss 2 days of work 👍, If you buy the bike from them they put you up in a cabin for a day or 2 and you get to ride the park as part of the package...sweet! They also can do any suspension work you need done before you get there....I had them respring the bike for my weight, just pay for the springs, no labor......very convenient!!!

Congrats on the new bike! And I know what you mean about the "wife" changing the mind. Had to talk mine into a 4th bike as well. She caved and before she coud re-think it, I put a new Husaberg FE450 in my garage.... You gotta act quick with these ladies!👍

Thx Husky

So far I love the 350!

I got to Highland Park around 2:30pm, made the deal, got geared up and hit the trails around 3:15pm. Bike being brand new, I took it easy, tried to follow break in procedure.....bike is too fun not to turn the throttle.

Highland Park has trails and mx, the trails are marked by diamonds, the more diamonds the harder the trail is to ride. The first day(hour on bike) I just hit easy trails, 1 to 3 diamonds(5 is hardest) and rode the mx tracks. Bike is so easy to ride! It turns really well, has good usable power, never scary. Front end is stiffer than I expected....it is new.....also bike had 25psi in tires, I checked about a half hour into ride :ride:

That night I changed the oil and filter so I would feel better riding tomorrow. I was gonna put the hour meter on, but it was getting dark, so I waited till I got it home.

Second day rode with 3 crazy Venezuelan guys....real fun dudes to ride with!! They now live in South Florida and Ohio. They had rental bikes......kinda like rental cars......roost and rocks were flying everywhere!! Side note...Highland Park rents all these KTM's. These guys rented 2012 250, 350 and 450....all the rentals had scotts dampers on them....thought that was cool!

We hit a bunch of trails, tracks, etc.....I was supposed to leave at noon(long drive home), but was having too much fun to leave.....ended up leaving at 3pm 👍

as everyone says, first thing you should do to it is take it apart and put dielectric grease in all the electrical plug connections. also check that the lower throttle cable off the throttle body isnt rubbing on the valve cover, and if it is you just have to loosen the clamps and rotate the throttle body. also check if the rear brake line is rubbing on the swingarm after the master cylinder. i had to use grip wire to tighten up the loop so it didnt rub on the swingarm. and dont forget lubing all the linkage and steering head bearings

as everyone says, first thing you should do to it is take it apart and put dielectric grease in all the electrical plug connections. also check that the lower throttle cable off the throttle body isnt rubbing on the valve cover, and if it is you just have to loosen the clamps and rotate the throttle body. also check if the rear brake line is rubbing on the swingarm after the master cylinder. i had to use grip wire to tighten up the loop so it didnt rub on the swingarm. and dont forget lubing all the linkage and steering head bearings

Bahhh, I think more guys screw-up there bikes by doing too much P.M. (preventive maintenance) all at once, and they don't know what the hell there doing.

Put a hour meter on it and do jobs one at a time between rides. I finally got around to my steering head bearings at 45 hrs and they were fine, and 'just' needed re-packing. I checked one wheel bearing at 25 hrs and it was fine, just grease the axles and pack the lips every time you change a tire.

I wouldn't even look at the linkage until 35 hrs, unless your hours were heavy pounding on a track, then you shouldn't need me to tell you when to pack it. I don't know where this Internet attitude that these bikes are coming 'dry' out of the factories comes from, but I bet more guys screw things up with re-assemble, then if they would of just took things slow and tackled each issue one at a time. Probably be cheaper to get fleeced at the dealership too for your maintenance.

I like the guy that does a full strip down every 4 hrs, and wonders why his bike is mostly garbage at 50 hrs. Full blown retard.

and if you haven't met the type, don't worry you will.

Bahhh, I think more guys screw-up there bikes by doing too much P.M. (preventive maintenance) all at once, and they don't know what the hell there doing.

Put a hour meter on it and do jobs one at a time between rides. I finally got around to my steering head bearings at 45 hrs and they were fine, and 'just' needed re-packing. I checked one wheel bearing at 25 hrs and it was fine, just grease the axles and pack the lips every time you change a tire.

I wouldn't even look at the linkage until 35 hrs, unless your hours were heavy pounding on a track, then you shouldn't need me to tell you when to pack it. I don't know where this Internet attitude that these bikes are coming 'dry' out of the factories comes from, but I bet more guys screw things up with re-assemble, then if they would of just took things slow and tackled each issue one at a time. Probably be cheaper to get fleeced at the dealership too for your maintenance.

I like the guy that does a full strip down every 4 hrs, and wonders why his bike is mostly garbage at 50 hrs. Full blown retard.

and if you haven't met the type, don't worry you will.

haha yeah I know that type, but I don't screw my stuff up when I yank apart brand new bikes. I've been doin this for too long. Plus, I feel much closer to my bike after opening things up and I always know the condition on all my wear items. I also am very anal about greasing everythibg. If it doesn't get loc tite it gets greased, and my bearings get rpacked or at least inspected every time the shock omes out for maintenance. I use a lot a grease, and everyone should. I don't mind the little bit of slop in my linkage with 80 hrs, but at least I know I can still spin the sleeves by hand cuz they're just well worn, not rusty and dry

I gotta say tho that it's not an internet attitude that says bikes come dry fromm the factory. I was told back in 2000 when I bought my first two stroke to grease all the linkage, so I always do. Nothing comes well greased from the factory compared to how well you can pack them yourself.

I bought a 2012 350 xc-w last week and took it out for a ride yesterday. I really really like this bike. I am coming of a 2008 250 xc-w 2smoker. The power at first felt a bit soft on the bottom but it quickly loosened up and I got used to they way to ride it. I am much better on technical hills climbs on this bike. The fuel injection worked awesome and the suspension worked great once I adjusted a few clickers. The bike feels really light. I am happy with the switch.

Thanks for the tips/ideas!!!

Got a trip back to Highland Park Nov 11-13th

If you haven't been, its worth the drive!!

PS...I did put a 2012 TPS cover on!