Sign in to follow this  

New dirt bike clutch

For a class project, we have to design, or innovate something. I chose to design a new automatic dirt bike clutch. For market research, I wanna ask if i could get some feed back from you guys.

1) If a new automatic dirt bike clutch, that would perform as well as/better than the Rekluse EXP, was released to public would you be interested in buying it?

2) If so, how much would you spend on a clutch like this?

Thank you for your feedback!

I would not be interested in buying it at any cost, because I have the perception that no auto clutch can possibly work as well as a manual one. (I have a similar disdain for automatic automobile transmissions.)

I'd be interested in riding a bike with one though, just to see if I'm wrong.

I would not be interested in buying it at any cost, because I have the perception that no auto clutch can possibly work as well as a manual one. (I have a similar disdain for automatic automobile transmissions.)

exp clutch is an antistall device,not an auto clutch like thier pro.

The new design using "ball bearings" instead of "wedges" is much better and is a viable alternative to the "Pro" version...

exp clutch is an antistall device,not an auto clutch like thier pro.

The EXP is an auto clutch as is the Z-start Pro. They work on two different concepts. I have both.

I think it would be tough to beat the EXP 2.0. It works great and at $400.00 is a pretty good deal. Downside is clutch pull is firmer.

Design an auto clutch that retains normal clutch feel and can be configured for bump starting and works as well as the EXP 2.0 for around $400.00 and you will have something. And don't infringe on Rekluse's patents.

Thank you for you feedback. And i know about the patents, it works a complete different way. but thank you!

I thought the same thing...but was getting frustrated big-time when I would get tired and then stall the bike more.

I have the Rekluse EXP 2.0 in my CRF250R. The thing is amazing, saves a ton of energy, and if I really wanted to use the clutch like a manual one, I can...for example, rev the motor and pop the clutch to spin the back wheel as I roll through some mud to roost my son who is behind me! 👍

I used it in a hare scramble recently and was really glad I had it. I would have stalled at least 2 or three times during the race had I not had it.

Note that it's nothing like an automatic transmission in a car. You still have to shift the bike, but you don't need to use the clutch handle at all.

It is wierd though to be sitting at idle and then pop it into gear without touching the clutch lever...I still marvel at that one.

The amount of arm pump they save alone is worth the cost. Not to mention the safety of having a full grasp on the handle bars 24-7. No human will ever be as good as a machine in these types of tasks. The idea itself is absurd! =)

Thinking about getting one of these. My concern is how much harder is the pull on the clutch lever? is it like going to stock springs to heavy duty springs type pull,or is is harder than that?

Thinking about getting one of these. My concern is how much harder is the pull on the clutch lever? is it like going to stock springs to heavy duty springs type pull,or is is harder than that?

It's probably about 25% harder. I put a MSR Aof clutch perch and lever combo and that brought the pull back to stock. I can also adjust the reach to bring the lever closer to the bar as there is no longer any freeplay in the clutch cable.

The question I have is are you looking at a centrifical type of clutch that engages at certain rpm (like the KTM50's have) or an anti-stall/auto clutch with a manual over-ride? There is a difference. In some of the quads that are less performance based, like a Polaris trailblazer, for instance< they use a centrifical clutch and there is no alterting clutch function. It is put it in gear and go. I wouldn't want that on a dirt bike. It would have to have a manual over ride function. Depending on price I might consider it, but as of yet I haven't needed it or I would have gotten a rekluse or dyna ring type of set up.