Sign in to follow this  

Why is everyone selling their Husky

Let me begin by saying that I’ve never owned nor ridden a Husqvarna motorcycle. I would however be interested in one day buying one. I am scratching my head because there seemed to be a lot of Husky owners trying to sell bikes that are only a few years old with very low miles on them. Why? Are these bikes ticking time bombs? I can read the craigslist ads, which say things like, need the cash, don’t have time to ride anymore, new baby on the way … In my local CL ad: 2009 dual sport 510 with 210 miles on it for $6,400. 2009 SMR 510 with 666 miles for $6,800. 2008 SMR 510 w/ 3,500 miles for $4,900. 2008 TE 450 unlisted miles for $4,900. 2005 TE 510 less than 500 mi. for $4,800. There are a lot of people trying to unload Huskies. Again why? Is it parts availability, dealer proximity, the oil changes every 500 miles or less, are they lying about the mileage? I don’t see nearly that many 610s being offered. If anyone can shed any light on this, please do so. Thanks.

Let me begin by saying that I’ve never owned nor ridden a Husqvarna motorcycle. I would however be interested in one day buying one. I am scratching my head because there seemed to be a lot of Husky owners trying to sell bikes that are only a few years old with very low miles on them. Why? Are these bikes ticking time bombs? I can read the craigslist ads, which say things like, need the cash, don’t have time to ride anymore, new baby on the way … In my local CL ad: 2009 dual sport 510 with 210 miles on it for $6,400. 2009 SMR 510 with 666 miles for $6,800. 2008 SMR 510 w/ 3,500 miles for $4,900. 2008 TE 450 unlisted miles for $4,900. 2005 TE 510 less than 500 mi. for $4,800. There are a lot of people trying to unload Huskies. Again why? Is it parts availability, dealer proximity, the oil changes every 500 miles or less, are they lying about the mileage? I don’t see nearly that many 610s being offered. If anyone can shed any light on this, please do so. Thanks.

Isn't it like this for all bikes and what happens when you don't ride enough or getting a new baby or buying a house etc?

Correct about the 610s and that shows you the product was pretty good. Probably didn't need the upgrade to the 510 head but....

I'm keeping mine. Can't say whether other makes are keepers relative to what you are seeing with Huskies for sale. In my area, Orange County CA I see 42 KTM listings and about 4 Husqvarna.

I am keeping my SMR...... The parts availability is kind of a pain in the ass, but not horrible. I think a big issue that folks have with the Husky's is that it is difficult to make them "unique" to the owner due to the non-readily-available parts and such. You can open up any MX catalog and order a new set of plastics in any color and then also order a variety of graphics to apply for any of the japanese bikes and pretty much any KTM. You just can't do that with the Husky's. There is also not much modding to do to the stock Husky's either, they pretty much rip right out of the box and not being able to mod their bike becomes boring to some people.

Cash is in short supply for a whole lot of us these days. Bikes for many are a luxury and when it comes to priorities in life not at the top of the list. Myself, I can't imagine selling any of my Huskies unless there is a new one already in the garage that exactly replaces a particular bike.

I don't see many for sale in this area and no I am not selling my 610 either! 👍

I suppose it could have something to do with current Husky owners wanting to upgrade to the 2011/2012 models? Lot of folks are doing that and some have to sell what they have before they can do it.

It's not a case of trying to unload bad Husky's IMO it's a case of wanting either a newer one or like someone said just needing the cash. I have two and they aren't for sale; awesome bikes.

For one the bikes you mention are all street legal dirt bikes or in the case of the SM (again street legal) focused more to the casual middle aged trail rider.

From the milage you're posting I would guess that the owners don't ride much anymore, why? Maybe time, family, money, business or other activities.

I think if you're an active rider and part of a club or off-road community there's usually someone you know that will buy your bike when you're ready to sell it and that's one of the reasons you don't see many KTMs dirt bikes in the ads.

Dirt bike people have a tendency or buying bikes from friends and might explain the low milage bikes you saw on Craigslist and posted above... these guys probably don't ride with guys any more and the ads are the only way the can sell their bikes.

Actually if you're in the marked...anyone of the above bikes you mentioned would be an excellent find.

Enjoy the ride if you can.

i do see more used sm bikes on the market than any other type of huskys.i think with sm bikes many people give it a try and may find it is not too versatile of a bike to own.this is particularly true of smr 450/510 bikes.as for street legal te bikes they come and go but i dont see a flood of used bikes on the market.dan

Interesting... I see way more KTM's and Jap dirtbikes for sale on Craig's List in my

neck of the woods. In fact I've always been amazed at how few Husky's I see on CL.

The whole "parts are hard to find" thing is really getting old. It's a wives tale that I hear people say all the time. Maybe if you live in a cave with no phone or internet and have half a brain, maybe.

My nephew has a DRZ400 dirt model and I've been looking for a new air filter for him as his apparently crumbled into pieces. I called three different local stores and not one of

them had it in stock. FOR A DRZ ?? I had to order it from Rocky Mountain. A couple weeks prior I wanted to get a spare air filter for my 511. I phoned my "go to dealer" in

Vacaville and of course they had it in stock just as they seem to have just about anything I need in their little stock room. I guess I'm just fortunate to have a dealer

that knows what parts are most commonly in demand and stocks them.

I recentlly switched to a brand new 2010 TE-250 (street legal-more trail options) from KTMs......and just out of curiosity cruised the want ads for Huskys. Looking at Craig’s list, E-Bay, and Cycle Trader……very few offering of the newer bikes, almost nothing!

Search for newer KTMs and there are tons.

The economy sucks so all it’s natural that folks are shedding their toys & excess pleasures.

I don’t think Huskys are prone to a higher amount of defects than other brands. My KTMs were bullet proof but if you go on KTMTalk.com you would think the bikes were all junk!!

Why is everyone selling their Honda? I see 10x more for sale online than Huskies?

Same for Yamahas and KTMs. They must suck if everyone's getting rid of them.... 👍

I love my 2007 TE 450 and have no plans to get rid of it. Parts may not be quite so readily available, but luckily my bike doesn't require very many of them. Heck, I've had it for over 4 years now and with 7600 miles on it, I finally for the first time had to adjust an intake valve the last time I checked the clearances. It's been a good runner, not fussy for fancy, expensive motor oils and very reliable, not to mention loads of fun.👍

And of course I'd like another Husqvarna, a brand new 2012 WR300, however like everybody says, the economy stinks and isn't going to be letting me buy one.

LOTS of huskys in the NW, probably more saturation than most anywhere else. Not uncommon to see them on the trail here anymore. That here is more is why you see more for sale. Lots of regions you will see none on the trail or for sale.

Lots of regions you will see none on the trail or for sale.

Like my region. And I'm not selling either of mine and hope to add a new one!

One reason for people selling practically new Huskies is hardly ever mentioned as it´s a bit personal. A Husqvarna is a typical bike that´s bought for the thrill and the aura of owning a high performance machine.

But a large number of inexperienced bikers then realize that they´ve bitten off more than they can chew and then try and rid themselves of their scary new toy.

One reason for people selling practically new Huskies is hardly ever mentioned as it´s a bit personal. A Husqvarna is a typical bike that´s bought for the thrill and the aura of owning a high performance machine.

But a large number of inexperienced bikers then realize that they´ve bitten off more than they can chew and then try and rid themselves of their scary new toy.

This is very TRUE! 👍

This and the fact that people shop to save money using the internet. Wasn't there a HUGE rebate on overstocked bikes over the last few years?????????

People were buying them up thinking they would ride but really only like the idea of telling someone they knew that they ride!